#42: The Bridge

JusticexCalum

JUSTICE RUSHED OVER TO CALUM'S HOUSE, knocking on the door quickly. She tapped her foot on the old welcome mat as she waited for a reply. She was about to give up and go toss stones at Calum's window, when his mom opened the door and gave her a confused look.

"Justice?" she asked.

"Yes, Mrs. Hood, I'm looking for Calum?" said Justice.

"I don't understand. I thought Calum was going to meet you at the old bridge?" Calum's mom crossed her arms.

Justice's eyes widened,"The bridge. Oh no, Mrs. Hood, you have to call someone. The police, the fire station, anyone!"

"Justice, what is going on?" Mrs. Hood demanded.

"I don't know yet. I'll explain everything later. Just, please, call someone and tell them to go to the old bridge." said Justice.

Justice didn't wait for a reply and ran to her car. She hopped in and didn't even close the door before she started the car and drove off. She sped through the traffic and made her way to the Old Henderson Bridge. It had been closed off after so many people used it as a place to commit suicide, due to the bridge being built over a river full of jagged rocks.

She skidded to a stop at the road blocks near the North end of the bridge. She left her car running and rushed onto the bridge, looking for Calum. He'd texted her over an hour ago, telling her he was tired and couldn't handle all the pressure anymore. She swiped at stray tears at the thought of her best friend hurting so much. Then she saw him, sitting on the railing... On the other end of the bridge.

It would take her five to six minutes to reach him if she ran. She thought of using her car, but there was no way she'd be able to move those road blocks. She started walking faster, praying that he hadn't seen her yet. Then he turned his head and she could just barely see him smile.

"Calum." she shouted down at him; he was five minutes away now.

"They say they closed this bridge because too many people killed themselves here." Calum shouted back.

Justice choked back her tears as she began to sprint,"Yeah, that's what they say."

Upon seeing her begin to run, Calum proceeded to stand on the rail, a hand resting on a beam for support. He smiled again,"How about I join that saying?"

"Calum, don't!" Justice cried, he was just two minutes away now.

"Thank you, Justice, for everything. I'm going to miss you." Calum shouted, his voice never wavering.

Justice heard sirens behind her and knew that Mrs. Hood had arrived with the cavalry. She clung to that tiny bit of hope as Calum was just twenty seconds away.

"Calum, stop! Don't!" Justice screamed as she reached for his leg.

"I love you." was all Justice heard before she heard the sound of her nails just barely scratching the leg of his jeans. Then Calum was falling away from her.

"I love you, too!" she screamed down at him right before he disappeared under the waves.

The whole world seemed to stop as she watched the waves go on. She wondered why she stared so long. Then she sobbed because she was waiting to see Calum resurface, waiting to see his smile, and hear his laugh again, because this wasn't actually happening. But it was, and Calum wasn't coming up.

"Calum?! Calum?!" Mrs. Hood screamed from the end of the bridge,"Where is he?! He was just there! Just now!"

Justice turned to look down at the police, the firemen, and Calum's mother. Her car was still there. Her family was still at home. Her other friends were all enjoying their days. She could go back and enjoy life with them. She could go to school everyday. But not without Calum.

She heard Mrs. Hood scream when she climbed up onto the rail,"Justice! No, please! Justice, wait!"

Police officers and firemen started running toward her. Justice knew they wouldn't get to her in time. She hadn't gotten to Calum in time.

She memorized her parent's faces, her sister's laugh, her friends, Mrs. Hood, and the fact that she could not swim. She laughed as she fell, because it wouldn't matter. She was going to die anyway. She was going to become part of the saying about the Old Bridge.

Just like Calum did.

Fin.