#57: I Have Nothing

JusticexCalum

JUSTICE CAME FROM A BROKEN HOME. SHE HAD AN alcoholic for a mother and a drug dealer for a step father. She was an only child and so she was alone in the world. She only ever had a group of guys she considered her closest friends. But even they didn't truly care about her. At least, that's what she thought.

Justice was out with her friends one early morning, skipping school at an old ship graveyard. They happened upon a ship that was still afloat and of course, they had to get in it.

"This is so cool. It's like stepping in to history." said Justice.

"Nerd!" Luke yelled.

Justice ran to smack the back of his head when Ashton called out, "Hey, look at me!"

The others turned to see him at the stern of the ship, standing on the rails and spreading his arms. Michael started to sneak toward him, motioning to the others to hush.

"I'm the king of the world!" Ashton yelled.

Michael ran and shoved him lightly, "Shut up! Or you'll get us arrested."

Ashton let out a shrill girly scream, catching his balance and jumping off the rails. Everyone started to laugh at him and mimic his scream of fear. Ashton shoved Michael hard telling him to fuck off.

"What a wimp." Justice shouted.

"Oh yeah?" Ashton challenged, running over and grabbing her by the wrist.

"Hey Ash, come on let her go." said Calum.

"Whatever." Ashton brushed him off.

He dragged Justice over to the stern and gestured for her to climb on up. Justice did so quickly holding out her arms to show him she wasn't afraid. Even though her heart was pounding in her chest.

Ashton nodded, "Alright, I get it. You're brave."

"Thank you." Justice smiled, about to climb off the rails.

Then in a swift second, Ashton pushed her so hard the rusty rail broke against her fall. Then she was falling fast toward the water. Calum and the others rushed to the edge, peering down as Justice hit the water and disappeared below.

Calum shoved Ashton's chest hard, "What's your problem?"

"It was an accident! I didn't think it would break!" Ashton protested.

Justice was sinking. The water was freezing and dark. And she was sinking. She found she didn't even want to try to stop it. If she could stay down here in the cold darkness, she could finally be free of her pain. All she had to do was let go. So she did.

Calum dove in to the water, swimming down to Justice. Her eyes were closed, she wasn't thrashing in fear. You could say she almost looked as if she was at peace. He grabbed her and rushed to the surface. He swam to shore as the boys watched down in amazement.

"We'll be there!" Michael called down.

Justice started to cough up water and gasp for air. Calum dropped down beside her, breathing hard. Justice pulled her knees to her chest and stayed quiet.

"You know how to swim." said Calum.

"What?" asked Justice, shocked.

"You know how to swim! So what the hell just happened?" Calum demanded.

"Leave it, Calum. Just forget it." Justice turned away from him.

"Forget it? You were about to let yourself drown just now! I can't forget that, Justice!" Calum hissed.

"Why not, huh? No one cares about me. You guys only let me hang out with you because you feel sorry for me! I know it's true. No one would even blink if I died," Justice swiped at her tears, "I have no one, nothing."

"You have me!" Calum yelled, "I have always been here! I care about you, Justice. I care about you because I love you!"

Justice turned to Calum, stunned into silence. She could see the pain in his eyes. She could see his heart breaking at the thought of losing her. The boys ran up to them, Ashton apologizing over and over.

"Are you two alright?" asked Luke.

"Yeah. We'll be fine. I'll be fine now." Justice smiled at Calum.

Calum shot back a small, secret smile, "Yes, you will."

Fin.