#33: Stars

IcisxLuke

LUKE HELD ICIS' HAND ALL THE WAY UP THE HILL.

"What are we doing here?" asked Icis.

There was a blanket and Luke laid down,"Come on." he patted the spot beside him.

Icis laid next to him gently. They were both laying on their backs.

"Aren't the stars beautiful tonight?" said Luke.

There was a silence, and he heard Icis sobbing.

"What's wrong, sweetheart?" Luke turned to her.

"T-the stars.... Kaydin loved the stars." Icis stopped.

Luke felt stupid now. Kaydin was Icis' twin sister. They were both born with heart cancer. Kaydin lost the fight two days before their birthday.

"I'm sorry." said Luke.

"I'm fine." said Icis.

She remembered the first day Kaydin went to the hospital:

"I'll be okay." Kaydin had said.

"I know you will." Icis had smiled.

"My heart is strong. So is yours. We'll get through." Kaydin had held her hand.

"We will." Icis squeezed her hand.

"I love you." Kaydin had whispered as a tear trickled down her cheek.

"I love you most." said Icis.

And just a few weeks later, her heart couldn't be strong anymore.

"She always said when we died, we'd be stars... That we'd shine right next to each other." said Icis.

Luke kissed Icis' hand as she shed tears. Icis pointed with the hand he kissed,"That's her. The brightest one."

"You'll both be bright." said Luke.

They drifted to sleep and an hour passed. Luke woke up and pulled his hand away from something super cold. He looked at Icis, she was pale.

He sat up and looked down at her. She looked like someone sucked the life out of her. But not brutally, beautifully. She looked like an angel. A delicate snowflake.

He looked up at the sky and where Kaydin's star was a smaller, identical star shining beside it.

He pressed his lips to her cold forehead,"You're my star."

He blew a kiss to the sky,"You're both my stars."

Fin.