Chapter 64

I followed the road and turned into the gate. Jimmy jumped out and opened the gate and motioned for me to drive through. I pulled forward and watched Jimmy close the gate and jump back in the truck. "Keep going, Brecks. We're almost there. Not too much further." Jimmy rubbed his hands together and giggled. I put the truck in park and turned in my seat to face him. He looked concerned. "Wait. What are you doing? This isn't the surprise. I didn't bring you all the way here to park behind a privacy gate. The best part is just ahead." He said pointing out the window.

"Where are we going?" I asked. I was a little suspicious of how he was acting. He was fidgeting in his seat. He couldn't stop bouncing up and down. I was starting to think that maybe he... No. I'm not going to jump to conclusions. He hasn't even talked about marriage with me. There's no way. Jimmy bit his lip and shook his head. 

"Nu uh. Nope. You're not getting this out of me." I lowered my head. "Ugh. You know I hate surprises James." I grumbled and played with the middle button on the button up I was wearing. "I know you do, but trust me. You'll love this surprise. I promise, honey. Just.. keep driving." He reached up and grabbed my hand as I unbuttoned and re-buttoned the shirt over and over again. I stopped and looked up at him smiling. "Please. For me." He took his hand and ran his fingers down the right side of my face. I nodded and turned, putting the car in drive and continuing down the road until I saw nothing but sand and water in front of us. 

"Your destination is on your right." I heard the GPS say as I parked in a spot and stopped the truck. Jimmy jumped out and walked around to the driver's side, opening the door and holding out his hand. I grabbed it and jumped down. I looked around. "The beach? Why are we at the beach?" I pulled down my shorts and my shirt so I was covered up a little more. Jimmy opened the tailgate and pulled out a blanket and bottle of Moscato with two glasses. 

"You don't remember?" He shut the tail gate and draped the blanket over his shoulder. He put the bottle in the crook of his left arm and criss crossed the glasses in his fingers. He reached out for me with his right hand. I intertwined my fingers with his and we began walking down the concrete path towards the brilliant white sand. "I guess I don't." I replied as we made it to the sand. Jimmy spread the blanket out and set the bottle and glasses down. He clapped his hands together, getting the sand off them, then he stretched his arm out towards me as if to shake my hand. 

"Hey, I'm Jimmy. Jimmy Fallon. I'm 39... er.. well 41 now.. I'm from Saugerties, New York. I like long walks on the beach and my occupation is dork on television."  I laughed at him and he pushed his hand towards me again. I looked down confused. He did it again so I reached down and shook his hand. "I'm sorry, J. I'm still completely lost over here." Jimmy just shook his head and put his lips between his fingers. He glanced up at me and gave me his crooked grin. "Seriously? You really don't remember? Gosh, I swear, you have the long term memory of a piss ant. The night I met you. I took you to the house to go get clothes for myself. Right before we left for the hotel you tried to convince me to let you get a cab and go home by yourself, that I wasn't responsible for a stranger. So I introduced myself to you using that line. You shook my hand and said "Breckyn. Breckyn Jones. I'm from the Middle of Nowhere, Missouri. I'm 30 and I've never been on a beach..." 

Jimmy stopped and spun around. He ran up to me and grabbed me by the shoulders and moved me in a circle as well. "Well, I figured it was about time for you cross that off your bucket list.. or well at least be able to cross it off some list. You're at the beach!! That's the ocean!!!" he pointed to the blue water.  I looked out at the ocean and took it in. I didn't say anything. I just stared. Jimmy looked out with me and then looked towards me. "Was this a good thing or a bad thing? You're not saying anything. I just figured since you've nev.." I cut him off and pulled him in for a hug. "This is amazing, Jimmy. Simply amazing. I love it and I love you for doing this for me. I've never been to any ocean. I guess I can cross the Pacific off my list." I said as I turned and wrapped my arms around his waist. Jimmy cleared his throat and chuckled as he sat down, pulling me down with him onto the blanket. He continued laughing to himself, trying to cover his mouth with his hand.