Chapter 47

"What did she mean that you told the reporter?" Jimmy asked me as he looked into my eyes. I could see the anger burning behind his chocolate brown eyes as they got darker with each passing second. I sat back and put my hands on my belly. I would have paced the room but I made the mistake of sitting down and I couldn't get back up by myself. Not without help anyways. 

"Jimmy, I can explain." I started in a low voice. I put my heads in my hands as I thought of the words I should say. "I... I..." I shook my head again. "Why is this so hard to tell you?" I couldn't find the right words to say to make this better. "Just.. try." I heard Jimmy say, his voice still trembling with anger. "Because I need to understand why this is happening. I mean you of all people, I didn't expect you to go talking to reporters about me."  

I slowly lifted my head and looked him dead in the eye. I could almost feel my mood shift in that split second, I could sense my own eyes darkening under my own anger. "You've got to be joking, right?" I said in a forced whisper. Jimmy raised his eyebrow and said. "Do I look like I'm joking?" I held my hand out to Drew who helped me out of the chair. "Are you FUCKING kidding me? You think I talked to reporters?! About YOU?!" 

Drew stood between me and Jimmy as I walked towards him. "Jimmy, now I was with her before your surgery and it wasn't like that!" she said looking at him and holding me back. I backed up and turned towards the window. "No, Drew. Thank you for trying to make this better but I'm a grown woman and I can do this myself."  I turned back around and put my hands in my pockets. "First of all, I shouldn't have to be explaining myself to you, but I will. I did NOT tell the reporters anything. I did not speak to a single reporter. In fact, I told all of them that if they didn't leave the hospital that I was going to stick my size 9 where the sun don't shine and I would personally make sure that every single one of them would be out of a job come tomorrow morning. Second of all, they overheard me trying to help save YOUR life. The EMT called you a John Doe, said you were in your thirties, and didn't know a single thing about you, or so I thought. I thought that the surgical staff should know who they are trying to save that way they can do the best of their ability to keep you alive. So, I told them who you were, in fact, I may have yelled at them, but that's neither here nor there. I told them who they were dealing with, I told them your age, your blood type, how much you weigh, what your allergies are, what medication you can and can't have, because I know these things. It's vital fucking information and I'm sorry but you had already died once and I wasn't about to let it happen again because Drew here was trying to keep your information disclosed. I didn't know that at the time and even if I had I probably would have done the same thing. I don't care if reporters heard me, Jimmy, what I did could have saved your life and given another chance I would do it again in a heartbeat. I was covered from head to toe in your blood, I had watched you die, and I had one ounce of hope left for Drew to save you and I took it. You don't know what that's like, now do you? To watch someone you love laying on a stretcher, dead? No, you don't but I would hope that if it had been the other way around, you would have done the same thing. So, you can be pissed off all you want to but I wasn't about to let the love of my life DIE because you're too worried about how this is going to look in the media. Screw the media, and quite frankly screw you if you don't understand where I'm coming from." I crossed my arms and stared at him, waiting for his inevitable response. 

Immediately, I saw a change in Jimmy. He unclenched the bed sheets and looked down at his chest. "I..... I didn't know." He said softly, looking back at me after a moment or two. I uncrossed my arms and shrugged throwing my hands down at my side. "No. You didn't know. How could you know? You were just DYING and Me and Drew were more concerned about saving your life than we were about how any stupid media outlet was going to handle this news. But what you SHOULD have known is that I would NEVER do that to you. You should have known THAT much, James. I'm sorry that this got out, but I am NOT sorry that it saved your life."