Chapter 54

"Hey Thomas, it's Daddy." I sniffled as I walked up to the little makeshift bed they had him in. I laughed as he kicked out of his blanket. "Oh, well, I see that you recognize my voice, little man. I can't believe you're finally here. It seems like just yesterday I was sitting in a hospital room just finding out about you." I picked him up and put his blanket in a swaddle and held him to my chest. "You've had quite the journey, son." I looked up at Breckyn who was lightly sleeping. "We've all had quite the journey, but.." I looked back down at my son who was lightly kicking in his swaddle and murmuring and I felt the waterworks begin. "But we're here. You made it. We all did." I started walking around with him lightly bouncing up and down and barely rocking him back and forth because he was starting to fuss.

"For a while, I wasn't sure if all three of us would make it to this point.  The truth is, is you're quite the miracle, Thomas Andrew. I might as well tell you the story before your mom tells you her side of the story, which, just a heads up, will be full of white lies. You see, your mom is a klutz. She's not too graceful." I smiled as Thomas wiggled in my arms and let out a little cry. Breckyn stirred in her sleep but didn't wake up. "Beautiful, yes, but definitely not graceful. I first noticed your mom when she came to a show. She was so beautiful, I could pick her out of any crowd. Anyways, your mom wanted to meet me so bad that she tried her hardest to make sure I would see her and she fell down some steps and hurt herself pretty bad. Well, your dad is a gentleman and I felt responsible, like any good man would. Don't worry, I'll teach you all about that. I watched over your mom for a few days even though she tried to convince me to let her go on her own. Boy, am I glad I didn't listen to her, buddy. Somewhere between her falling down those stairs and her getting on a plane to go home, something happened. Truth be told, I knew from that first night together that I couldn't let your mom go. I remember trying not to stare at her that first night. I hadn't told her yet, but I thought I loved her then. To think that she could've never fallen down those stairs, but I'm glad she did, because now you're here." 

Thomas was starting to fuss some more and cry and I didn't want to wake Breckyn so I started rocking him some more. Then I remembered that he used to stop kicking Breckyn when I would sing to him. I had the perfect song. I started humming while watching the rain come down around the street lamps outside. Still raining. I heard rain is good luck on your wedding day. I wonder if it applies to your children being born as well. 

A baby is born in the middle of the night
In a local delivery room.
They grab his feet, smack him til he cries

He goes home the next afternoon
Before you know it he's off to school and then he graduates in May
Goes out gets a PhD and then cures all sorts of things
Wins a Nobel Prize and saves a million different lives
The worlds a better place for all he's done
Its funny when you think about the reason he's alive
Is all because two people fell in love 

I Recall a young man who was drifting aimlessly
And a young waitress who seemed lonesome as can be
But it a little hotel right off of 47th street
With a whole lot of help from up above
We met and things sure turned around for me and you
And all because two people fell in love
There aint nothing not affected when two hearts get connected
All that is, will be, and ever was
I'm glad your momma could not resist your daddy's charm 
And you exist
All because two people fell in love
You know to me, its all so clear
Every one of us is here
All because two people fell in love

I slowly rocked Thomas back and forth until he was fast asleep. I walked around with him for a while before giving him a kiss on the forehead, taking in the baby smell. I didn't want to let him go, but I really needed to go let everyone know that our little man was here and it was very late, or rather, early in the morning. I looked up at the clock. 1:30 in the morning. I put him down in his bed and walked over to his mother, who, even after being in labor for the last 14 hours, still took my breath away. I couldn't help but smile as I kissed her forehead. I felt her stir under my lips as I pulled back. Her beautiful blue eyes fluttered open and I put my hand on her cheek and whispered. "Go back to sleep, baby. I'm just going to give everyone the great news and then I'll be back. I love you so much Breckyn." She gave me a faint grin and nodded back to sleep as I closed the door and walked towards the waiting room where two eager families awaited the greatest news.