Chapter 44

When I opened my eyes all I saw was commotion above me. Everything was a blur. My ears were ringing. People were rushing around over me. I looked to my right, I was on the ground, I realized as I saw grass blades by my head. The grass had a red tint to it. I closed my eyes for a second to turn my head and looked up and saw Breckyn screaming above me. Her green dress was stained crimson as tears streamed down her face mixing with the blood that was on her chin and neck. Her face, her legs, her arms were covered in blood.

I suddenly remember what happened. I pushed Breckyn towards the car and heard a single gunshot, followed by a rush as Jake and Matt flew into my vision. I looked up at Breckyn again. Oh God, she's been shot. I thought to myself.

All of a sudden, my vision cleared. The ringing in the ears stopped. I went to get up when I felt someone pull my head down. "Don't you dare move." I heard Matt say as he held me down. "DREW!! BRECKYN!! He's awake!" He yelled. I looked above my head to see him kneeling above me. His white shirt underneath his tux was stained with blood as well as his hands and my hankerchief.  He looked down at me and held me down. "You'll be okay, okay? Hang in there bud."

I'll be okay? What about Breck? Why isn't anyone looking after Breck? I tried to get up again and that's when my fog cleared. I suddenly felt this searing white hot pain in my chest. I couldn't breathe. I tried to gasp for air and I couldn't. I put my hand to my chest and felt the heat pouring out of my body. It was in that instant that Drew sat on my stomach and I felt the pain intensify. I put my hand to my face and it was covered in blood. "Jimmy?! Jimmy?! I need you to hold still.  Matt? I need you to run to the car, get my medical bag, now!" She said as she sat on top of me in her wedding dress. She pressed both of her hands onto my chest. I almost passed out from the pain. I would have screamed but I couldn't get a breath out. I felt like I was drowning. When Drew pressed down I saw a shower of blood spray onto her face and her dress. Drew had her phone to her ear as she pressed her head to her shoulder, keeping pressure on my chest. "This is Andrea Connor.. SCOTT! Andrea Scott, I am a resident at the hospital. I have a 41 year old male with a GSW to the left chest! BP is 60. He is losing a lot of blood. I will try to get vitals stable but  I need an OR prepped and ready when I get there, I will need 3 units of LR and 2 units of packed cells and I NEED AN AMBULANCE FIVE MINUTES AGO! GET ONE TO THE PARK NEAR LAKECHIPPEWA NOW! BRING A TRAUMA KIT AND A CHEST TUBE!" She let her phone drop. I looked down and tried to form words. I've been shot.

"B.. Br..Bre..." I couldn't get the word out. I still couldn't breathe. Drew looked up and yelled. "BRECK!! WHERE'S BRECKYN! I NEED HER NOW!" All of a sudden I saw Breckyn above my face. Drew looked her in the eyes. "Put your hands where mine are right now and hold all your pressure you can." Breckyn was sobbing and shaking. "Breckyn, now." She took her hands and put them on my chest and pressed down. "Keep them just like this." Drew said as she took her hands off and Matt handed her her kit. "He's losing too much blood. The Quik Clot wont work." She said as she looked in her bag. "Shit!" She looked down and stood up, ripping off material from her dress. She handed it to Breckyn. "We need to flip him. I need to see if there is an exit wound." She said as she took my by my shoulder and turned me."AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH" I managed to get out between gasps of air. "Breck press down on his chest okay? He is losing a lot of blood and we need to contain it until I can get him to the hospital. Put this material around his chest and we will wrap him and make the best we can with what we have." Drew reached over for the material and wrapped my tight. "Great, that's perfect" she said as she put my back down. I growled. "Jimmy. Baby, please don't die." Breckyn sobbed as she held down on my chest, her hands covered in my blood. "Hold on! I love you! I can't live without you! Winnie can't live without you! Thomas! This is all my fault. Please don't die. I'm so sorry. This was my fault. I turn in his brother. This was my fault! I love you! Do you hear me? I love you!"