Chapter 19

You know when you are a little kid, and you believed in fairy tales, but eventually you grow up. One day, you open your eyes and the fairy tale disappears. But the thing is, its hard to let go of the fairytale entirely because almost everyone has the smallest bit of hope, or faith, that one day they will open your eyes and it will have come true.  At the end of the day, faith is a funny thing. It turns up when you really don't expect it.  It like one day you realize that the fairytale is slightly different than your dreams.  The castle, well, it may not be a castle. The knight in shining armor, might not be as shiny as your imagined. The armor might not exist. And its not so important that it ends up being happily ever after, so much as it matters that your happy right now. But, once in a while, once in a blue moon, people will surprise you. And every once in a while, someone may even take your breath away. 

I never thought I could find that, not after what happened to me. But that's what was happening right this second.  I found myself looking across the table at Jimmy who was telling jokes with my father. They were trading bits back and forth. Jimmy was laughing so hard that he had to do that thing he does where he catches his breath. God, I love that sound. Jake was chiming in as well. My dad was laughing so hard he had tears in his eyes. I was grinning from ear to ear. Jimmy copped a quick glance at me and winked. I winked back. I got up from the table with my plate, and Jimmy and my father stood up when I got up from the table.

"Well, Jimmy, I'm impressed. I thought I was the last gentleman in existence around here." I heard my father say as I walked into the kitchen.

"No sir, I was taught that when a woman leaves the table, you stand and watch her walk away." Jimmy said.

"Well, Jimmy, you must have good parents."

"Oh, I have the best parents." Jimmy gushed.

"I must say Breckyn, I was worried when he came walking into this house. I mean, a celebrity, under my roof. However, this kind man has quickly changed my mind. He is such a gentleman, and down to earth, and he's not too bad on the eyes, either." I heard my mother say from behind me. She set her dishes in the sink and then turned around to face the dining room. The boys were still cutting up a storm in there. Jimmy was rolling with laughter. My dad was wiping tears from his eyes and my brother couldn't stop clapping. I leaned against the sink. 

"You really like him? You think he is good for me? Or do you think I'm making a huge mistake momma?" I asked as I watched Jimmy do his best impressions. My dad would shout out names, Jimmy would impersonate them flawlessly. He looked up at me after doing his best James Cagney impression. He smiled at me. His smile was beaming. 

"Well, Breckyn. I would be lying if I didn't say I was worried about you. But, I'm your mother. I will always worry about you. But yes, I do like him. I think he is down to earth, which is rare for people of his stature. I think he is kind and gentle. He seems like such a happy and nice person. I think it's a complete change from what you are used to. I do think it is risky for you to date someone who is constantly in the eyes of the world. You will be held under a microscope and scrutinized, but I also see the way he looks at you from across the room. Your father looks at me the same way." she put her hand on mine and smiled. 

"They really are hitting it off together arent they?" I said as my father got up from the table and Jimmy and Jake followed. "Yes, they are. You might want to get in there before your dad or brother steals him for themselves." 

The rest of the night was a blur. Jimmy and my dad had played some songs on their guitars. Listening to Jimmy and my dad singing together was amazing. I didn't even know my dad could sing like that. The truth is, watching Jimmy do anything with my father was breathtaking. My dad has never gotten along with any of my boyfriends, especially not Mike. He would usually just sit in his recliner and watch tv whenever I had had Mike over. He would ignore him and drink a beer. He wouldn't get up or try to make conversation.  But with Jimmy, he was different. He was excited to share things with him, he sparked up several conversations himself, and even took Jimmy into his office to look at his music collection and all his guitars. I guess Jimmy just brings out the best in people.