Chapter 34

The whole flight home Breckyn didn't really say anything. She just looked out of her window the whole time. I tried to get her to talk to me but when she did she would only answer in short phrases. Finally, with about 30 minutes left in our flight I couldn't stand it anymore. I can only read the Skymall magazine so many times before I can't stand it anymore. "Breckyn? What is wrong? And don't say nothing like I know you are about to. If there was nothing wrong, you would give me more than a second of your time when I try to talk to you. So spit it out or I'll get it out of you. I promise you that."

"Nothing, Jim. It's not a big deal." Breckyn said as she continued to look out the window. I touched her chin with my finger to try to get her to look at me. She took her head away from my hands. "Actually, it IS a big deal, Breckyn. You never call me Jim and you never turn away from me like this. What is wrong?" I asked her one more time.

She turned to look at me finally. "I already told you, Jimmy. It...is..not..a..big..deal. I'm just in a weird mood. Just stuck in my own head. I'll be fine once we land." She said curtly. "Are you sure? Are you feeling okay? Did I do something?" I asked one more time. Something was wrong. Even if she refused to tell me, I knew. She looked at me and tried to give me a half smile. "I'm fine.. please, just drop it." She said, putting her hand on mine. That's the first time she's even touched me all day. I guess that's progress. I just cant figure out what is going on in that head of hers.  I decided to let it go for now and gave her a smile. She smiled back and went back to looking out the window until we landed.

As we walked through the terminal, I held Breckyn's hand, rubbing the space between her finger and thumb with my thumb. This always helps her calm down for some reason. She rubbed back and smiled up at me occasionally. I looked up and saw Jake andd John, like Drew promised. Jake ran towards us. "BRECKS!" he yelled as made his way towards us. He picked her up and spun her.  I walked up to John and held out my hand and shook his. "How you doin, John?" I asked as we watched Jake spin Breckyn. "Hey, not too much, she gets sick easily now, Jake!" I said as John laughed. "Jesus, Breck! You've gotten big! How's my nephew?" He said as he put her back down. She immediately shed the worried face she has had all day and let out a big smile. "He is kicking away and moving around like crazy. Just like his Uncle Jakers. Here, watch this." She motioned to walk towards her. I complied. "Show him what the baby does." She said. I bent down and put my mouth to her belly. "Hey, little guy! I hope you're doing okay in there! Uncle Jake says Hi!" As I spoke, Breckyn put Jake and John's hand on her belly. She giggled as Jake pulled his hand back. "Holy cow! He just kicked the hell out of me!" John smiled as he felt Breckyn's belly. "You sure look good, kiddo!" John said as he rubbed her belly. "Thank you Dad! Where's Mom?" Breckyn said looking around. "Oh, she's not here, she stayed at home, Drew said that..." He started. I stood behind Breckyn and waved my arms and shook my head no at him. He cant tell Breckyn that I told Drew to have them meet us here. John looked at me and stopped mid sentence. Breckyn looked at him confused. "....she needed help picking out what to wear when you were here.." He looked over at Breckyn and smiled. "She is so weird. Why would she ask Mom? That sounds like Drew though.' I let out a sigh of relief. Well that was a weird improve line but it seemed to work. Jake looked over at me and gave me a confused look. "Well, lets get out of here and get home, shall we?" I said, picking up Breckyn's and my luggage. Jake grabbed Breckyn by the shoulder and led her off, playing with her belly the whole time. John smiled and went to walk off when I cleared my throat.

"Uh, actually, John, would you be able to stay back with me and help me with these bags?" I asked as I started to walk towards him with the luggage. John stopped and waited for me to catch up. "Sure thing, Jimmy. Breckyn has always packed too much for herself, ever since she was a teenager." He said taking a couple of the rolling bags from me. "Some things never change." He said laughing. I looked up at him. "Actually, these three bags are mine. This one is hers." I added, trying not to laugh. John looked embarrassed. "Oh. Sorry." He said quietly. "It's fine. Some this is baby stuff too, so don't worry. It's not a big deal. I've always been like this though. Pack way too much. I just never know what to bring." I chuckled as John put his hand on my back. "I trust that you've been taking special care of my daughter and my grandson?" he said as we walked several feet behind Jake and Breckyn who were talking away in front of us. I nodded. "Yes, sir. I have." John looked down at me. "I trust you are keeping her happy as well and that you are keeping your promise to me?" He said as I looked into his eyes. I stopped dead in my tracks. "Actually, that's why we're here. I need to talk to you about tell you something, Mr. Jones." John stopped where he stood and lowered his eyes at me.