Chapter Fifteen

I need my girl - The National

Sin's POV(requested)

It's been a couple of weeks since I last glimpsed those beautiful, innocent blue eyes. With each passing second, the urge to hunt down Jax Carlisle and find out where he hid her intensifies. He snatched her away from me, and it was all my fault. I should never have relied on Caldwell for the evidence. Now that he's gone, the only lead we have is a worthless damn phone number.

If I could turn back time, I'd have taken out my arch-nemesis the moment I had the chance. But it's too late now.

"FUCK!" I let out an exasperated groan and sent a glass of rum crashing into the wall. Time is slipping away, and the thought of Jax being with her and our land turning into rubble eats at me.

I can't stand the idea of anyone else touching her, so I've been drowning my sorrows. That first time we were together, it's etched in my mind. I haven't stopped thinking about her since. She's the purest thing in my life in this brutal world. I brought this upon myself, and I deserve this suffering.

I'm not entirely sure about my feelings for her, but one thing's certain: I need to protect her and take care of her. My thoughts were interrupted as someone entered the office.

"It better be good news," I growled at Hunter.

I consider Hunter a brother, and I appreciate him doing everything he can to get us out of this mess. I know he has feelings for Maya, and that's fine with me as long as he keeps his distance. I won't let a girl come between our friendship, and he knows I'd do the same for him. But if he crosses that line, he's well aware I won't hesitate to take him out.

"We've got nothing. We've practically beaten it out of him, but he's fuc*king useless," Hunter grumbled, his frustration evident.

We'd abducted Caldwell's friend, hoping he might have insight into Caldwell's secrets or plans regarding the videotape, but the guy was utterly clueless. He had no idea about the videotape.

"What about the number? Have you retried tracking it?" I asked, clinging to a glimmer of hope.

"We've tried, but there's nothing," Hunter replied, shaking his head.

"Arrh!!!" I couldn't contain a fierce growl and flung a lamp against the wall upon hearing his response.

It's tough to admit that those traitors, Jax, and the mole, have manipulated me, but I won't show them what they want to see—me weakened—because that's far from the truth.

I'm no coward. I lead the Blood gang, the most feared gang in this country, and Jax is simply fortunate that he managed to slip under my radar and plant those bombs without detection.

We had contemplated relocating our people to another gang's territory temporarily, but that bastard got wind of our plans before we could execute them. He threatened to blow up the land if we made a move.

I can still vividly recall the heated conversation I had with Jax over the phone the day after Caldwell's death. I was furious the moment he demanded her as collateral.

Flashback

"Who's this?" I asked, irritated after answering the call. I had just wrapped up a heated argument with one of our clients, and my mood wasn't the best for dealing with an anonymous caller.

"Always in a bad mood, huh?" I immediately stood up when I heard the familiar voice—it was Jax.

"What do you want?" I tried to maintain a calm tone because he was undoubtedly calling about the evidence.

"You know exactly what I want, Sin. The videotape," he muttered.

"You already have it," I replied, puzzled.

"Don't play games with me, Sin. Deliver it to me, or I'll blow up Kronowa to pieces. I can do it anytime I want," Jax's impatience was evident.

"You killed Caldwell and tossed his body over to our borders. You're the one playing games!" My anger flared, and Jax could hear it in my voice.

"I couldn't care less about a dead cop and an addict! What I want is the videotape, Sin. Don't test me!" His tone grew even more impatient.

I inwardly cursed at his words. Jax had no idea what had happened to Caldwell, which meant someone on the inside was trying to sabotage the situation by hiding the videotape. If I ever caught that traitor, they'd endure unimaginable torment.

"I'll get you that damn thing as soon as I have it," I said through gritted teeth.

"You know what? I want her instead. As collateral while you fix this mess," Jax's sudden interest caught me off guard.

"Who?" I asked, my fists clenched. I hadn't braced myself when he mentioned her name.

"Maya Storm. The woman who hid the videotape and escaped. I know she's back there now, Sin, don't try to hide her," Jax declared.

"Over my dead body, Jax Carlisle," I retorted, my jaw tight and my fingers gripping the phone to the point of breaking.

The mere thought of her being with my arch-nemesis sent me into a frenzy.

"Alright then, since you won't agree to my terms, I'll just kill all of you useless people and your gang. With just a call, the bombs I planted will reduce your land to ashes," Jax's tone bordered on insanity.

I remained silent, unprepared for his ultimatum. A battle waged inside my mind—I couldn't bear the thought of children perishing, yet I also couldn't imagine surrendering her to him while we searched for the videotape.

"Just as I thought. Bring her to the ball tomorrow," Jax concluded and hung up.

For the first time in my miserable life, I felt utterly defeated. I set aside my pride and chose to do the right thing for my people and my gang, as any wise and strong leader would.

Only one thing consumed my thoughts: her. I knew she would hate me forever for this, but I would try to explain, hoping she would understand. She cared deeply for our people and was a selfless person, likely to make the same choice if faced with this situation.

As I pondered alternative solutions to keep her from harm, the door to my office swung open, revealing Hunter.

"I just got off the phone with Carlisle," I said, gazing out of the window onto the expansive garden while still clutching the phone tightly.

"What happened?" Hunter asked, positioning himself beside the chair.

"He didn't kill Caldwell," I disclosed, finally turning my attention to Hunter, who appeared surprised.

"Then who did?" He inquired.

"I don't know, but I'm sure of one thing—it's someone within our ranks," I admitted, looking at Hunter, who responded with anger.

"Whoever it is, they've got a death wish," Hunter muttered sharply, his frustration apparent.

"There's something else," I sighed deeply.

"For God's sake, what is it now?" Hunter asked, his voice tinged with annoyance.

"He wants her," I whispered, barely audible. I began explaining Jax's plan to Hunter, about blowing up our territory if I didn't comply. Hunter was furious about my decision.

"That son of a bitch will pay," Hunter spat before storming out of the office.

Flashback ends