XXXIV.

Amaru "Leo" Crooks. (IN MM)

"It's been a fucking day since I hit you." Zane's angry voice critiqued as I approached him.

I took a seat with a look of boredom. I wasn't even going to reply to his message, but Sym had a flight to South Carolina so I said why not.

"And now you're ignoring me? Don't forget you owe me."

"I don't owe you shit but Demp's head." I reminded him.

"Well if you find that bitch Carmen, you find Demp, so we're leaving tonight."

"I ain't doing shit."

"Why not? You think just because your girl is pregnant that you can bail? It should increase your drive. You leaving this life alone will have your child even more unsafe."

"My contract is a year."

"Right." He nodded crossing his hands across the desk.

"Why do you need me so much?"

"My time is slowly running out, that's why. I need someone to take over this operation and you're the perfect candidate." He admitted casually.

"Are you out of your fucking mind? I ain't doing no shit like that."

"You can get 10 times more than what you're being paid every year. No taxes whatsoever." I bit my lip in deep thought, shaking my head from those thoughts.

"That's not who I am. Look at you right now. I'm not trying be that." Taking it the wrong way, he frowned, his eye twitching.

"That? What's "that" supposed to mean?"

"It means I have no record and I don't plan to have one." I shrugged.

"You think you're better than me? You're not. You have a drug addicted mother and lived in the ghetto. All I asked of you was to cover me until I get out."

"You ain't getting out. Be honest." His face fell on the floor.

I shook my head standing to my feet.

"We can handle this shit with Demp and Carmen, it's been a long time coming. Any friendship or relationship outside this office, it's dead."

"Ama-"

"Don't say my government name around these fiends."

"I'm sorry man."

"Been that." I left his office, bypassing all his workers and clients.

Getting inside my car, I picked up my phone seeing a few missed calls from Sym.

"What's wrong?" I questioned her, at a stoplight.

"Something has to be wrong with me?"

"Well what do you want?"

"To check on my fiancé." Her cute voice said over the phone.

"Well let daddy check on you and my baby. How y'all doing?"

"I'm hungry and Amora is hungrier. You?"

"Over Zane and his bullshit."

"How come?" She asked me while munching on gum I assume.

"He has no doubts that he isn't gonna spend the rest of his life behind bars. Instead of repenting on his sins he found it best to ask if I could takeover thinking I'm stupid."

"Sounds like Soja."

"It doesn't sound like me, though. I quit and he has nothing to say because I still have that advantage to quit 6 months in."