I. [EDIT 2020]

Symphoni Peterson. (In MM)

Miami, Florida.

"Rare cancers, illnesses, and unexplained deaths

"Rare cancers, illnesses, and unexplained deaths. Life as they knew it in the 80's was so different. People couldn't understand what exactly was wrong. They all walked on eggshells.

Eventually, they compiled blood of those that died of an unknown disease and found a similarity.

This prompted them to name it. GRID, standing for gay-related immune deficiency is what they named it in 1982 because the illness had a "pattern" in gay men.

This theory was then deemed false when heterosexual people began to get the disease as well. They seemed to get it at times from blood transfusion, but mostly sexual contact. Body fluids spread the disease mostly.

Deaths were on the rise. People were scared. Some well known public figures became infected. They soon changed the same from GRID to HIV because it could infect any of you inside this room right now. There is no label. No stereotype.

I may look perfect from the outside. Beautiful hair, perfect makeup, and stylish clothes. But inside, HIV is destroying useful cells that fight off other infections.

The night of my graduation, I went out with a few friends. They were still partying when I left but I wanted so badly to just go home and rest since I planned on going to the navy soon and I was still indecisive on what I wanted to do. At times I wanted to go to the navy and other times I wanted to be like others. College was the way to go for most.

That night, I was raped by three men. One being my stepfather. I zoned out as they used my body like a toy. They threatened to kill me if I told, so I didn't for awhile.

Many moons later I awoke with a sore throat. I was sad about it since Summer colds are usually the worst.

This then took a tragic twist. A few weeks later, I had lost a lot of weight.

My mother got tired of my procrastinating and declines to go to see a doctor. I figured I was pregnant anyway. I just didn't want to face the facts.

I wasn't pregnant. To me, I would've rather been pregnant but I was diagnosed with HIV and immediately put on medicine to slow down the virus from making me lose my life. Technically this is a baby. Only thing is I can't send it off to college or get my mom to babysit.

I'm forced to care for it by myself or my life is at risk of ending. Today I'm undetectable which means I can't give it to any of you.

If I ever stop my meds, I could be at risk of spreading it. Sadly there's no cure.

Since that sad night, I've been dedicating my life to raise awareness. I see my purpose in life. Back then I was young and dumb not knowing what to do next. I only wanted to go to the Navy since I felt I couldn't do anything but that. I thought it would give me more time.