44 [You Say]

44 [You Say]
Description: Based on the song 'You Say' by Sarah Close.

• • •

I walked around the supermarket, doing my daily food shop with my three-year-old toddler in the trolley. "Mama, I'm hungry," George told me sweetly, pointing to his mouth.

"Alright baby, I'll get you some food soon," I told him, ruffling his fluffy brown hair. My phone started ringing so I pulled it out of my bag and answered it, not checking the caller ID. "Hello?"

"Y/N? Is that you?" An unfamiliar voice said down the phone.

"Yes, it's Y/N. Who is-" I was cut off my George trying to get out of the trolley. "No, G. Stay in the trolley."

"It's Lewis." The minute he said those two words, I froze. His voice suddenly seemed very familiar, the memories flooding back. "Y/N?"

I hung up the phone, pretending as if nothing had happened. Why was he calling me back after three years? He said we were over, done, finished. I quickly finished my shopping before making my way back home.

When I arrived back home, I saw someone sitting by my window, their knees pulled up to their chest. "Y/N," the all-too-familiar voice said.

"What do you want Lewis? I'm a bit busy right now," I struggled with the six carrier bags that I was holding, along with my keys. George was fast asleep in the car, so I was going to come back for him once the bags were inside.

"I want to talk to you about what happened." He said, now standing up.

"You couldn't have done that three years ago?" I finally unlocked the door, looking into his pleading eyes. I sighed. "Fine. Take these bags into the kitchen."

Lewis took the bags from me with no issue at all. I went to the car, unstrapping George from his car seat and carrying him into the house after locking my car.

Lewis waited awkwardly by the front door, looking between George and I. "Wait in the front room, I'll be right back."

I put George in his bed before heading to my room to change into a pair of Nike leggings and a tank top. I also shoved my hair up in a ponytail before making my way downstairs.

Lewis was sat down on the sofa, his hands resting on his knees. "Talk then," I told him as I sat down opposite him.

"I never meant to do you wrong." He simply said.

"Why are you here now, if you said we were done?" I replied.

"I know I screwed up, Y/N and I want to fix my mistakes."

"You should've fixed them three years ago when you left me, pregnant, scared and alone!" I yelled, getting annoyed.

"Is the kid mine?" He asked, whispering.

"Of course he's yours! He is the spitting image of you, Lewis." I crossed my arms over my chest.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"I was going to tell you but you said it was over. So I left it at that and raised him on my own." I pulled my hair to tighten my ponytail, before turning back to Lewis who was already staring at me. "What?"

"Give me another chance, Y/N. I was young and dumb then. I've matured a lot now and realised my mistakes." He began, realising my unpleased facial expression. "Please, I'll do anything."

"I don't know why you're talking like I'll be back in a minute," I told him.

Lewis paused. "T-That's not true," he stuttered.

"Look if you want to be in my life and prove to me that you have matured, start becoming a dad to George."

"Okay," he replied.

And the rest was history...