Chapter 63

Family is not an important thing. It's everything.

~Michael J. Fox~

Sophie

*Unedited*

I sat beside Raphael fully wrapped up in his coat which smelt of fresh air and him. It was like the many times we had done this, sat beside each other, yet this felt like it was special—maybe it's because it was my home town or the fact that he had finally said he loved me, I thought silently as I stifled a yawn with my hand. He smiled— Raphael, raising his brows comically.

"Hunger" I said smiling back at him. 

He sat with his hand behind my seat, his thigh touching mine and once in a while he brushed my hair gently like he couldn't keep from touching me and I leaned back to his body as we waited to be served. 

As much as I knew he loved me, I felt needed as well. It felt absolutely wonderful to be needed especially by this man who was so strong, too big, too tall  and too...male and always so self-sufficient. 

I turned my head to look at him, our eyes meeting, his dark orbs fixing me with unwavering hot gaze that had me blushing and looking around to see whether anyone could see us. 

"You have to stop gazing at me like I'm the breakfast" I whispered. 

"No he can't because he is wishing you were his breakfast, hallo piccola" Bruno slid in comfortablely opposite us looking fresh and unruffled. He wore a suite as usual-a charcoal suit with a pristine shirt, a strand of hair falling oh his forehead. It was becoming longer than usual and I wondered whether it was by design but then again long hair wasn't a look either of them appreciated. 

"Hi Bruno" I responded, moving my body off Raphael but he couldn't let me, instead, he braced his long arm over me, pulling me deeper until I was almost sprawled on his lap which I think was what he wanted but the waitress appeared beside our table. 
She was young, petite and shy, wearing a short blue uniform under a white or cream apron. Her hair was done in a pony tail under a cap that resembled the apron. Bruno smiled at her first, a smile that had her blushing to the root of her hair. She was just like me, blushing under the scrutiny or just being the focus of such virile men. 

"I'm Lily, can I have your order please"

Bruno's smile grew wide, his gaze became fixed on her face, like he was memorizing everything about her face.  

"Stop making her uncomfortable" I said, kicking his foot under the table. This took me back to the day I told Romano the same thing, sitting on Raphael's jet as we flew home, the first time my heart broke and if my calculations are correct, it was also the day Raphael and I conceived our first child. 

He turned the smile and the charm on me for a minute before transferring it back to the shy girl who still stood beside us. I imagined how she felt, being the center of his attention.

"I will have scrambled eggs, toast and a cup of tea." I said, as I watched her write  down my order, I felt Raphael touch me, whispering to ask whether what I had ordered was enough. 

I nodded,praying silently that I do not blush just like our waitress had done. 

She took our order efficiently, professionally albeit shyly, managing to lift her pert face just a few times to make eye contact. Bruno made her deliberately uncomfortable taking time to decide what he wanted to have. Bruno was never at a loss or undecided when it came to food, that is how I knew he was going out of his way to make her uneasy.

Poor girl

"Just give him two boiled eggs" I snapped, touching her hand slightly like I was about  to push her gently towards the counter to save her from this painfully uncomfortable situation.