Chapter 20

The heart wants what it wants. There's no logic to these things. You meet someone, and you fall in love, and that's that.

~Woody Allen~

Sophie

Waking up in Raphael's bed threw me off a bit. It's not that I didn't remember how I got there, I did, but the experience was still new to me. I have only slept in the same bed with a man twice in my life, and both times with him.

I moved to open the vast window in my bedroom, standing to look at the ground below. The beautiful roses reminded me of home. Suddenly I felt nostalgic; I missed my grandmother,  how we sat on the front porch sipping afternoon tea as we watched the sunset.

A man appeared, stroking the roses as he paced back and forth, talking on a phone. He was unknown to me,  though, to be honest, the only people I knew were three-five, including nonna and Flora. I was so lost in his movements. I wasn't aware he was looking directly at me, but I was pretty sure he couldn't See Me.

I moved from the window to unpack my meager belongings, which looked out of place in this beautiful room. I arranged them on the Wardrobe, such a huge wardrobe I wondered who could own so many clothes to fill this myriad.

I jumped in the bathroom to take a shower, change, and maybe catch up with Raphael before he left for the day.  I wanted to see him once more before he left, talk to him, hug, kiss him.

I remembered how it felt to hold in his arms; I could still feel it; it's like he had imprinted himself on me. Every kiss, every word, his scent, his expressions. Everything, including the way he let me hug and kiss him. This powerful man relinquished his control and allowed me one moment to lead him my way, on my own terms. I loved it. 

Choosing what to wear was easy, mostly because I didn't have much to choose from and because I stayed indoors, so I selected a short denim skirt, a spice girl off-shoulder t-shirt, and sandals. I gave myself a one over on the huge dressing table mirror and walked out. My stomach had enough butterflies to cause me anxiety. I was a girl in pursuit of a boy I could love. I giggled, for Raphael wasn't anybody's idea of a boy. He was a man. 

Their loud voices led me to the dining room where everyone was congregated for breakfast, even Gabs, seated next to nonna at the far end of the table, probably trying to be invisible. Raphael sat in the same place he had the previous night. He had taken a shower, his hair curled at the back, giving him a softer deceptive exterior as opposed to his usual devil-may-care look.  

I walked in, and everyone turned to stare at me. I became the center of attention. Gabs encouragingly smiled at me-knowing exactly how I felt standing there, having all those eyes on me. My trembling smile and shaky voice as I bid everyone a good morning must have shown how uncomfortable I was.

Raphael's eyes were unwavering fixed on me. Those dark orbs giving me a glimpse of the memories we both shared.

"oh,  Piccola, Spice girls, really? We're you even born when they were a hit? " Bruno made a disapproving and disgruntled sound. He was seated on the far end from Raphael, wearing another designer suite.

Bruno had an easy swagger, a hard face that wasn't really conventionally handsome, but he had the most striking green eyes I had ever seen. Eyes that gave the impression they could see through your soul.

He also had the ability to laugh at himself and the two guys around him. He was the easiest one to talk to, more friendly and almost protective.

Romano was the opposite. Quiet, no-nonsense, he rarely laughed, but it was mostly a smirk when he did. But once in a while, I saw a genuine smile on him, especially at me or when he was making fun of Bruno.