Chapter 26

I love you not because of anything you have, but because of something that I feel when I'm near you.
~Anonymous~

Raphael

His girl? Who the hell was his girl? I was momentarily rendered speechless, I tried to figure out what to say but came up with nothing, but I also didn't want him to speak in fear of what he might say next.

Crossing my arms over my chest, I dragged my gaze from Leo, then moved to the window overlooking the back of the club. Directly opposite was a wide balcony surrounded by a stone balustrade; several people were leaning and holding onto the handrail, enjoying the sun, banter, and refreshments. Laughter filled the air, but neither Leo nor I spoke; we had lost ourselves in the silence; we seem to agree on the silence, though I was convinced both of us were afraid of what either of us would say.

"You know, I never thought for a minute we would be in such a situation" Leo laughed nervously; I figured he was still standing near the desk. I muttered something unintelligent and continued with the silence; a distance slosh of a fountain could be heard.

My mind raced with all the memories I had with Sophie; I just met her, how could I bear to lose her—she hadn't said anything about another man, and Sophie was not the kind of girl to play games with a man's feeling. I knew for a fact she wouldn't be in my house at this particular moment if she were involved with someone else. Neither would she kiss me the way she does. There had to be a hell of an explanation for this; I just hope I could bear to hear it.

I turned to Leo, and I asked the question that would break my heart if the answer was Sophie. Isn't it ironic? that after years of facing guns head on and living a life of crime and going through it all without any fear of death or apprehension, I was reduced to an imminent heartbreak that would send me to an untold self-destruction path that I was sure would have more than a few collateral damage.

"Who is your girl?" I sounded confident, but I felt like I was about to lose for the first time in my life.

We were now face to face.

Rubbing my temples, giving the impression that I was fatigued, which I was considering the last 24 hours of uncertainty, I cocked my head, waiting with trepidation for his answer.

Leo dropped his eyes, gazing at the floor in concentration like he was searching for a pin.

"Gabriella"

"What?"

"Gabriel-"

"I heard you" I let out a heavy sigh followed by a loud uncharacteristic whoop of breath and a nervous laugh. I walked to my seat and sat with a thud; the relief I felt was noticeable.

"Who did you think it was?" For a moment, all that could be heard was the ticking of the clock.

"Sophie. I thought you meant Sophie."

"Oh, I knew you wanted Sophie, I mean...I saw the way you looked at her."

" You saw...Where the hell did you see us together? And what do you mean the way I looked at her? Where was that?"

Leo chuckled. "One question at a time, Amico. You came into my café one evening late last month, sat with her and Gabriella, then killed some fucker who accosted you right in front of the café. I was watching you throughout the entire time from the moment you walked in"

"You own Aldos?" I was surprised to realize Leo was living under our nose; he never went into hiding, but what did I expect? he wasn't the kind to run; he was the kind that would stand up and fight to live his life on his own terms."