Chapter 37

I have sadness in me. I have anger in me. I have heartbreak in me.

~Ellen DeGeneres~

Two months ago

Raphael

*Unedited*

"Cara, we are going to be late."

"I'm sorry, I'll be out in a minute,"

Sophie said. She was seated on the newly installed dressing table just for her, combing her hair and alternately touching the tips of her lips, trying to fix the lipstick​. 
Her face was beautiful. She wore a dark, dark red lipstick; her striking blue eyes shone with happiness, a bit of nervousness, and little playfulness. Our bed was full of her clothes, looking like she had been angrily fighting with every piece of her clothing. 

"I can't do this with you staring at me! "

"I stare at you all the time," I said, looking at her reflection in the mirror. "Cara, why are all your clothes on the bed?"

"I had to find the perfect outfit," she scowled, daring me to criticize her decision or the need for it."

"Did you try on all of them?" I was surprised at her resilience. I gazed at her adoringly. "Why are you so nervous about this visit? He is just a priest; he probably won't notice what you'll be wearing."  

"Yes, he will, but I'm also doing it for you." I stared at her, wondering how trying on all her clothes were about me.

"You answer to no one. You're a law unto yourself, but father Jośe says he wants to see you, and you're ready within hours to honor his request. He means something to you, and the last thing I want to do is embarrass you with my choice of clothing." she said, fidgeting, staring at her hands. 

"Trust me, the only thing in my mind right now is the joy I'm going to have shown you off to him."

"Really?"

"Really." I chuckled as I watched her watching me in the mirror, a smudge of something white on her nose.

"Please, Raphael, stop hovering over me; I will be down in five minutes," she finally said after a few seconds.

"Will that be the normal traditional five minutes or what Bruno likes to call women's interpretation of time? "

She chuckled and smiled at me through the mirror. Her hands lying easily at the surface, her eyes mischievous.

"Right now, I'm on the traditional normal time." still grinning, her whole face lit up.

"Okay," I said with a nod and went back downstairs to wait with the guys.

Sophie came down within five minutes as she had promised to look stunning in a floral top, a jungle green skirt that reached her ankles, and scalloped black heels.

I was stunned, mesmerized; she literally took my breath away. The guys stared too. Which full-blooded man wouldn't?

She touched her right earlobe nervously, looking adorably shy.

"I'm ready to go now. Do you think father Jose will approve of my outfit"

"I keep telling you he wouldn't care about it."

"He is a man of the cloth; I don't think he would appreciate it if I wore jeans or the other short dresses in the closet."

"Trust me; he wouldn't mind."