Chapter Four

Sophie

This was a beautiful car; the interior was amazing. I sat next to Raphael at the back; he didn't speak to me; he was either on the phone making calls, scrolling, or typing furiously. I wondered who he was so angry at; I wouldn't want to ever be on the receiving end of his anger; he looked dangerous. He also looked like a man who always had his way.

None of them made any conversation, and I didn't want to be the only one talking; I doubt these men would appreciate unnecessary chatter. So I forced my mouth shut, and trust me; it was hard. I tended to talk a lot, especially when I was nervous, and right now I was very, very nervous.

Lucky for me, the drive didn't last long. This silence could make any sane person crazy, but these men weren't sane. I can bet my life they can drive for miles without talking to each other or feeling the need to fill the silence.

I hate silence; I always get the need to fill it; Gabs tells me sometimes its good to embrace the silence and just reflect. No, I would rather reflect while listening to soft music or any sound as long as I didn't have to listen to my thoughts.

As the car pulled on the huge black gate, I felt like signing; finally, I can talk; hopefully. I delayed from getting out of the car; the alternative would have been to jump out immediately the car came to a halt; I wanted to see the house so badly I was just curious to see the kind of house that cost 50m.

I walked up to Raphael; I don't know why I just did. I didn't even have to think about it; my body just gravitated towards him. And then I saw it, the house. It took my breath away; it was beautiful, it looked like those houses in home magazines that I had in my house. Yet this was real, I mean it was.....I don't know, paradise. I wouldn't mind living here.

Now, where did that thought come from?

This was a 50m house, I could never afford it, and it was so big for one person. This house was built, decorated for family.
I guess the three menacing men agreed. Romano whistled; at least I heard his voice even if it was a whistle. He must be really mean with his words.

"Wow, this is by far the most beautiful house I have ever seen, and I have seen my share of them" I said.

Raphael agreed because I heard him say it was as big as he wanted it; I imagined he wanted to live with his family. Bruno's weird part implied they lived together, how can they live together, were the family? But Raphael was really shocked when I asked if he lived with his family.

But then again, Bruno said they were a unique kind of family, I wanted to ask, but I did not; it wasn't my business anyway, but I wanted to ask what he meant by that.

As we got in to see the inside of the rooms, I walked faster; I was so excited, I felt like a child with candy.

"Is there a reason you're running?" I heard Raphael ask

I turned around and realized I was a few steps in front of them.

"Hmmm, I'm not running; I'm just walking faster."

"I thought you said you couldn't walk faster because you don't have long legs to keep up with me?"

Oh shit, he heard that?

"Of course I didn't say that," I told him.

"Are you calling me a liar, Miss Harris?"

" No, I exclaimed, I'm just eager to see the house."

"Oh, I thought you're calling me a liar; I have been told my word is gospel."

"By who?" Bruno asked

"I wasn't talking to you; it's rude to listen to other people's conversation," Raphael told him.

"I wasn't listening; if you don't want us to hear whatever you're saying, whisper it to her, just don't shout."

I happened to glance at them, and I saw Bruno smirk at Raphael, who was glaring at him. His eyes looked dangerous, but Bruno didn't seem like he was afraid; he continued to smirk. I cleared my throat so I could break what I felt was tension, but I could have known better.

"We are here," I said; they all focused their attention on me as I opened the door. Wow, I thought, this is the biggest living room I had ever seen. my house can fit in here and leave some space. I envied them; they were going to live here.

I left the guys to check out the kitchen, and I swear my heart stopped. This was out of this world; I opened the shelves and wished I could cook something, anything, just so I can have the experience of it. But I couldn't, so I walked out in search of the master bedroom.

I could hear the sound of the guys, but I couldn't make out whatever they were saying. I walked in the direction I thought had the bedroom, but I didn't see it, so I changed and walked the opposite side. Someone can get lost in this house; it was massive, I thought.

I entered the first door on my left. To say this room was beautiful would be an understatement; it was every word you could think of to mean beautiful or gorgeous. The bed was so huge I couldn't guess the size, the beddings were white—my favorite. The room was decorated in red, which I would redo if it was mine, the windows were so large the view was fantastic. The curtains were white, the carpet was light grey, and there was a couch at the corner. This was a dream bedroom where dreams are made.

I decided to lie down on the bed, just for a few minutes, just to get the feel of it. I removed my shoes and did just that 'wow' if my bed felt like this, I would call in sick every Monday. I had enough problems waking up on that day in my narrow sized bed. This would be impossible.

"I see you've already made yourself comfortable in my bed," I heard Raphael say
I sat up so quickly and just stared at him; what would I say.

"Don't get up on my account, sleep away, princess," he whispered; he gazes at me, I felt my face heating up, and I fought the urge to cover it up with my hands.

"You blush a lot; it's cute," he said, without looking away from my face. He was standing at the end of the bed, his arms crossed on his chest.

Before I could get a comeback or get of out bed, Bruno and Romano walked in, " already in bed, Piccola?" Bruno asked me. I could see Raphael react to the name, I didn't know what it meant, but I made a note to ask Aldo The next time I saw him.

"I just wanted to get the feeling of it for just a minute," I defended myself. "Have you guys finished checking it out?" I asked, looking at all of them and none in particular.
"Sure," This from Romano. My head shot up so fast, and my eyes focused on him. He speaks, I thought, he didn't say anything else to my utter dismay.

"We need to go, " Raphael said; I pushed myself out of bed, slipped in my shoes, and left to catch up with them.

Just before I got to the stairs, I heard Bruno speaking on the phone. "No, don't kill the bastard yet torture him until he gives you the name; we'll be there in a few."

I didn't make a sound, but I thought he was speaking figuratively. I mean, torture is a word I have only heard on TV, or what I hear the FBI sometimes does, which is illegal and goes against human rights.

But what if he wasn't speaking figuratively? What if there was someone out there being tortured?   Shouldn't I do something? But what? Should I ask him what he meant? No, no, that wouldn't be a good idea. Why should I judge him by just a few words anyway? He doesn't look like a killer, I told myself.

" Are you coming?" I heard Raphael shout.
I ran to the car and got in, we drove in silence again, but this time I didn't mind. I had a lot to think about.