Chapter 58

Truth is everybody is going to hurt you: you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for

~Bob Marley~

Sophie

*Unedited*

"You had me watched" she spat it out like it was something despicable.

"Don't look so surprised you knew that already" he said, his eyes resting on my eyes, lips and every part of my face like he was mesmerized, enthralled by something.

"What?" I meant to sound scornful, but my voice trembled, my eyes avoiding his because I was afraid I would drown in those dark orbs that promised me heaven and sometimes took me through hell.

My hand held firmly in his felt warm and secure. My heart thundered in anticipation as well as dread. I didn't want to fall into his arms too fast; I wanted to know where this relationship was headed. I wanted to know who I was in his life.

Was I just a passing glance

Did he want me for life?

Did I have the right to ask these questions?

My eyes flickered on his, willing him to stop staring at me, but he didn't. Abruptly, he turned and started walking.

Outside there were two cars, the SUV that drove us the first day we came and a truck whose driver I had never seen. Raphael opened the passenger door of the SUV and sat me down. I could have resisted, but I knew he would have easily lifted me and sat me down into that seat.

"Where are you taking me? " I asked.

"To our house."

"Raphael, I'm not going back to New York with you. My home is here."

"I'm not taking you to New York; we have a home here" he gave me a slight smile before he moved his eyes back to the road.

"You have a house here?" I was surprised. I thought he was staying in a hotel. This man has to be the most maddening.

"When did you buy it? "

He was silent for a while, navigating the car through traffic, probably wondering he could lie to me and get away with it.

"After you left me the first time", he breathed.

"Why? "

"Because this is your home, and I wanted you to visit your grandmother and still sleep beside me in our home."

"But I have a room in my grandmother's house?"

"I know. But you don't have to spend the night there."

'Is that why you went to see her behind my back?"

"Of course not! You don't really have a very good impression of me, do you?"