Chapter 55

The last time we tried talking about this, you said you don't make love. You fuck
~Sophie~

Raphael

*Unedited*

She was still in the bathroom 30 minutes later while I laid on the bed feeling miserable and helpless. I knew she was avoiding me even as I waited for her, thinking she might at least come out and give us the opportunity to talk or just give me a chance to grovel which was probably what she wanted.

After dressing up, I went downstairs to the living room, where I could hear noises— whispers really and someone clicking on a table. I saw Stefano leaning back on his chair, a beer in his hand and a cigar on the other.

Stefano was a man who indulged in every vice known to man. He was also cruel and a mean son of a bitch.

A sat next to Romano on a chair that had been pushed back from the round table. The smell of alcohol and cigar lingered in the air, so did sweat and tension. Romano never liked Stefano, not to say he was one of my favorites either, but he was important in our circles.

"He decides to join us finally," Stefano said sarcastically, pointing his cigar at me. I glanced at the door that I figured led to the kitchen and saw Bruno's lean, tall frame towering over a petite woman.

Damn his love for food

Hell, I had no idea what I was going to say to Stefano, which reason I was going to give for wanting to get out of his home in the middle of the night. But it was either insult Stefano's generosity or alienate Sophie further, which meant she would pull further away from me. I choose the former because I seriously did not give a fuck about whether I insulted him or not, but I gave a lot of fuck about how Sophie felt.

"Yes, I did thank you for saving Sophie. We are now even my friend," I muttered.

"That we are," Stefano breathed heavily as he turned his large body off his seat to put the beer bottle he was holding on the table just as Bruno sat at the other round table next to us with a plate full of food and a small bowl with cut off pieces of fruits.

"That said, we need to leave as soon as possible" They all looked at me except Bruno.

"You're leaving my home so soon and in the middle of the night?"

"Sophie has been through a lot; I need to take her home."

Stefano gave me a speculating look, a smirk which meant he thought I was whipped.

I was whipped. Sophie had me on the palm of her tiny hand.

"You have a spunky woman there, Boselli" his tone was mischievous, full of playfulness, yet I detected a little hatred.

Stefano's reaction to my decision to remove my family from his home was what I had expected and dreaded; resentment.

He was also of the idea that I was letting a woman make my decision which, in his opinion, was a weakness.

After a few minutes of talking to Stefano and giving my apologies which he seemed to scoff,  we finally left his home with Sophie still as mad as she was before or much more now if that was to be believed.

I felt like a man in his last throes of sanity, like my life and my heart were about to be split into two.

The helicopter was surrounded by at least three of my guys, Devonni being one of them. I stared at him discreetly, wondering if he was the mole in my organization; he didn't look at me directly. Instead, he lowered his eyes to the ground; but that wasn't out of character. He had never met my eyes for more than a second.
Lifting Sophie to the helicopter, I felt her stiffen and cringe as my touch repulsed her, and that is when it hit me; she might never forgive me.