Chapter 31

*Unedited*

                                   Sophie

He was wealthy, and he was powerful. He owned a private jet, a private airstrip, and we just landed on his private island on a helipad.

Raphael disembarked from the helicopter first, waiting for me at the bottom with his face slightly lifted, watching me. The noise was too loud; the wind ruffled his hair, blowing it around his face; he kept brushing it off back to keep the strands from his eyes.

He had dropped his coat-one of his bad habits, but it wasn't on the floor; it was on a green carpeted grass that resembled a football pitch. It was beautiful. It was the most beautiful place I have ever seen.

Raphael pulled me, hoisting me to his eye level. His eyes had a mysteriously wicked look.

"Welcome to my home, cara," he smiled, placing me on my feet. I looked around amazed and in love with this beautiful place. The sun had not fully set; the sun's reflection on the beach gave a magnificent impression of golden rays animating the bright blue waters.

"Thank you, it's beautiful," I said as I moved my eyes to what appeared to be a dozen Mediterranean olive tree garden meticulously tended.

"Are you in olive business?"

"Yes, among other things. I'm Italian."

He said reluctantly. I didn't push him to explain what the other things entailed simply because I didn't want to hear or watch him skating around the issue. Instead, I asked him to take me for a walk, which he did.

Holding my hand firmly in his, leading me through a core path in silence except for our footsteps, especially mine, the click-click of my heels echoed, probably waking up some of those crickets whose cries could be heard far and wide.

I swayed, but I held onto Raphael with my fingers deeply digging into his forearm. I expected to hear a shriek of pain, but he seemed not to have felt my nails into his flesh. I apologized anyway.

"Cara, do you want to remove your shoes?"

"Yes, please."

He went on his knees, and at first, I panicked because when a man goes on his knee, the implication is that he is about to propose.

The emotions that passed through me within those few seconds before it dawned on me that he just wanted to help take off my shoes will probably be told to only my grandchildren. I wondered if my grandchildren will be his grandchildren too. I imagined a small dark-haired boy growing into manhood and having his own dark-haired boy who will be the stark image of his grandfather.

"What are you thinking about?" his smile was intoxication. I smiled back, clinging to his forearm with both of my hands.

"I was wondering why you would ever live anywhere else other than here."

He moved his eyes from me and looked at the far corner of the beach, probably considering the question carefully.

"I have a few houses around the world and responsibilities in New York."

"Around the world?" I asked, astonished. People have houses around the world?"

"Yes," He admitted.

"You mean other than this paradise?" I motioned, "And the mansion in New York?" his smile turned to a grin.

"I own a chateau in France, a ranch in Brazil-"

"Oh my God, I've always wanted to go to Rio De Janeiro" My excitement was palpable.

"We could go tomorrow."