Not him

"You know he kind of looks like Jace." Izzy hummed as you watched the newest Shadowhunter.

"Because he's blond?" You asked her. She shrugged and looked him up and down.

"He's taller than Jace. Faster too, from what I here." She winked at you and smirked as she started to walk away.

After a few moments of hesitation you wondered over to greet the new Shadowhunter. He made a few jokes and comparisons to his own Institute. Jace and Alec came home from a mission and stopped, talking with Izzy while you and the new Shadowhunter started to discussed Idris.

"Looks like it's only a pit stop." Someone muttered to Izzy who sighed as she took a file.

"We need to go." Izzy said and jerked her head to you. "You can follow along too. If you're up for it, (Y/N) can show you the ropes and get you used to the way the team works."

He nodded, muttering to you until Jace glared at him causing him to shoot you an awkward look as he let you you show him the way to the weapons room while Jace scoffed and glanced at Izzy and Alec. "What's the big deal with the new guy?" Jace huffed and glared at the siblings who shared a knowing look.

"Maybe it'll be nice for (Y/N), Maybe she'll start dating him and I can get her back for teasing me and Magnus." Alec joked light heartedly until he saw Jace's expression.

***************************************

"We should go this way." The new Shadowhunter suggested. You started to follow him, trusting his instincts after listening to him and Alec discuss his position in his old Institute.

In a sudden blur Jace had appeared and, attacked a demon that was bursting its way through the woods before you'd even noticed it. Alec was close behind and intervene when Jace turned to glare at the other shadowhunter who apologised despite Jace snapped angrily at him.

"Jace neither of us knew it was there!" You objected and jumped a little when the glare was turned on you.

"(Y/N)... You're better at close combat, stay with Izzy the rest of the mission at least she's observant enough to spot demons bearing down on her." He walked off with a rough nudge of his shoulder that almost knocked the new Shadowhunter off his feet.

"Clearly i'm overstepping." He said loudly enough for Jace to hear. Alec winced as Jace stopped as if he was thinking about turning back but decided to keep marching through the woods.

************************

"I just got a call from (Y/N), they both need help." Izzy muttered to Alec and Jace as she started to grab her gear.

"I'll go, I should have gone with her." Jace snatched up some weapons and hurried off.

"When will he just admit that he's jealous and in love with her? You'd think a month of him intervening with the new guy and (Y/N) would be long enough for him to figure it out." Izzy said through a sigh as she looked at Alec who shook his head.

"It's Jace. It'll probably be to late when he figures it out." Alec admitted and caught a weapon she through at him as she teased him into a practise fight while Jace jogged out of the Institute.

When Jace found you he could smell demons on the air. I didn't take long to sneak through the abandoned building and follow the sound of your voice.

"That was amazing!" You gasped and grinned at the Shadowhunter who had his back to you. "You have to show me how to do that."

"It's nothing really, if we keep training you'll pic it up." The way he said it had Jace rolling his eyes as he approached.

He was so deep in his own thoughts he didn't hear what was said next but froze as you kissed. "No! Not him." He whispered to himself as you both pulled away and stared at each other.

"Jace?" You called as you realised he was watching you. You swallowed a guilty lump that lodged in your throat when you saw how hurt he was.