Magnus' Witchlet (Part One)

Warnings: Magnus Rescues/adopts Reader from bad/abusive family (only small mentions of readers old family)

Magnus Bane prided himself on being calm, rational and patient with Mundanes. But when he discovered that your fear for your family was the unintentional cause of strange magical goings on in Brooklyn he couldn't wait another day, finding you alone and scared by the shaking objects and weather that changed to match your mood he carefully took your hand and you'd never looked back.

At first Magnus had been enthralled with you, seeming to find a human with powers, however he quickly discovered the smallest of indicators that you were as much half demon as he was. They day he had his friend Jem test you was the day you thought he'd throw you away.

When he'd managed to coax out of you what was wrong, his eyes teared up and he engulfed you in the warmest of hugs. The years that passed saw you flourishing, Magnus would boast proudly of his timid protégé, both of you secretly enjoying when other Warlocks brought their students forward only to fall to your power.

There was only one thing that Magnus couldn't draw out of you. Not a single word was uttered to another person bar Magnus and brother Jeramiah. While your father figure fell in and out of love over your many years together, you stayed silent and assessing as you watched how the world seemed to both evolve and repeat at the same time.

Your many years of silence was ended one night when two young Shadowhunters came looking for Magnus. The tall dark haired one stared at you from a distance while the other took the lead asking where Magnus was and if you'd take them to him.

Magnus, who could hear the entire conversation from his hidden seat, leaned forwards waiting to hear what the handsome Shadowhunter would lure out of you. Finally, he thought, someone other than himself would lure you into conversation and with a great anticipation he listened as you made a loud choking cough similar to Chairman Meow's yawns.

********************************************************

"Magnus?" You asked quietly when you found him reading in his living room, the only source of light was the flame in his hand and the Brooklyn bridge.

"Yes (Y/N)?" Magnus answered fondly as he dismissed the book and let it float its way back to the bookshelf.

"How do you... talk... to boys?" You asked with a deep flush.

"That really depends on the boy." He muttered as you sat next to him, your head finding his shoulder. "Now if it's that nice looking Wayland boy, I'd go for chatting about his weapons."

********************************************************

"Hi um we're here for Magnus?" Jace asked as you opened the front door of the penthouse.

You nodded and let him in, blurting out that Magnus would be back in the next few minutes as he'd portaled somewhere to help an old friend.

"Your weapons are sharp!" you said suddenly. Jace's weirded out look had you awkwardly leaving the room, hiding until he'd left so you could tell Magnus what happened.

It was a few days after this that you were sent to the New York institute with a parcel from Magnus and a spell that you would need to do for the Shadowhunters. You were quick to agree, not being one to miss the chance to perform magic, missing the sly smile Magnus had on his face as you hurried through a portal.

************************************************

"Hello?" You asked shyly when a happy girl in a short dress that looked a lot like Magnus' favourite Shadowhunter bounced up to you.

"You must be (Y/N)." she hummed, linking her arm with yours. "Don't worry, Magnus has told me all about his little Witchlet so I know your shy but you don't need to be with me... let me know if you need anything."

With that she vanished down a corridor, leaving you in an empty room as you waited for the Shadowhunters you were helping to show up. A few minutes later the girl returned with Jace and Alec in tow and a bright blush burned through your cheeks as your mind replayed the last time you met.

"Ahh, Witchlet have you come to help with the spell or assess the sharpness of our weapons?" Jace asked with a grin, increasing the awkward fidgeting blushed mess you'd become. "Hey, I'm only joking magic girl... you're pretty cute you know."

He tapped the end of your nose and you had to be guided by Alec when you froze, your eyes wide as your brain shut down and focused only on the fact that Jace had touched you.