My arms touched the inside of her waist, stroking her up to the tips of her breast. "Oh god cara, you didn't wear a bra?" I said breathing deeply about to lose control. She moved closer though there was no space left, arching her body back, giving me more access to her body until we heard footsteps outside the kitchen and I knew it was Bruno because Romano walked like a thief; his feet noiseless. But Bruno just passed past the kitchen and we stood still as we listened to his footsteps disappear through the house.

I smiled at Sophie standing as far from me as possible. She looked rosy, her lips swollen from my kisses. Bruno would have known from just looking at her what we had been doing just seconds ago.

"You look loved. Physically, figuratively and emotionally" She blushed.

I hope she never stopped. She always turned red when she blushed, her innocence evident in the way her eyes tried to focus on anything other than me.

"There is something I haven't told you yet, something you may not like to hear" I kept my voice neutral knowing what I was about to tell her was crucial. I didn't want her to hate me or think of me as intrusive, I wanted her to forgive me in spite of it. She stood erect, nervously smoothing a few strands beneath her ears. Her eyes fixed in my face but managed to avoid looking into my eyes.

"I looked into your father a few months ago" I said. I knew my face held no expression, my eyes devoid of any emotion yet my heart screamed in anticipation; fear that she may be angry at me or worse, just walk out of my life again.

My heart begged her not to yet my eyes did not care either way and I wondered if she believed them. My eyes were the most convincing, the most deceiving feature I had.

She exhaled loudly, laughing nervously, her hand trembling on her throat.

"That was not what I expected. How is he?" She asked in a whisper, sounding forced like she didn't want to know yet feeling compelled to ask.

"He is an alcoholic. But I think you already know that" She nodded, waking to sit on the kitchen aisle, her legs falling limply over the tall stool in the middle of others, and I wondered why she didn't sit at the end.

"He also has a wife and 3 children though they're not biologically his" I felt uncomfortable, my heart sinking at the naked yearning and bitterness in her expression.

"Does he beat them?" She asked in a whisper I barely heard her. "I don't think he has the strength to. I have a few photos of him and a report if you want to see it" She shook her head.

She sighed loudly, rubbing her face in desperation that drew me to her. The way her fingers shook on her face or the way her lips trembled trying to fight tears broke my heart. I sat next to her, pulling her into my arms and she clung to me as her life depended on it as I moulded her against my body. For a moment she went stiff and I thought she might push me away. Then she relaxed, sinking against me and resting on me.

Her fingers trembled. She appeared small and fragile. Her shoulders drooped giving a sense of loss and loneliness. I felt anger at her father, the man who hurt her time and again yet he should have been the one protecting her and keeping her from harm.

"Cara," I said gently, waiting for her to respond, but she didn't. Instead, I heard her sniffle, her right hand wiping away tears that now dropped down her face.

"He is not worth it" I murmured, trying, in my own way to make her feel better. To realize, it wasn't her fault that her father was a son of bitch, stupid for not loving her as he should have.

Until Sophie, I had not dealt with tears. I couldn't remember the last time I cried or saw any person in my circle cry. Tears were as foreign as love or relationship yet here I was experiencing all at the same time.