Chapter 1

Okay, let’s start at the very beginning.

 I’m Hannah- Hannah Moriati to those of you who own a computer. I’m the only child of the founders of the Moriati Film studio; they make money producing massive blockbusters and we’re filthy rich because of that. Um, I’m 17 years old, going into my second year of Acting College (big surprise) and looking to join the industry we call Movies. You could call me your average rich brat; maybe I am, maybe I’m not. I honestly don’t blame people if they also carry that same preconceived judgement of me. Being a teenager these days seems to automatically put you into that category anyway.

I’m also what some people may call ‘sarcastic’. It’s one the many services I think I offer- which is probably why people don’t like me. And let’s face it, I have found it hard to truly connect to people. If I was to psycho-analyse myself, I would say that I’m nothing but a teenage girl who likes to hide behind a sarcastic demeanour in order to create a wall of protection. Then again if I was to psycho-analyse myself, I would also be wrong.

To be honest, I feel as if I’m going off topic. I could sit here, blabbing a whole lot of spiel about myself, about my origins, my favourite coffee (which is none by the way) and whatever but why do that? I’m almost certain that you don’t care and that you won’t remember any of it. Truth is I’m not here because I want to talk to you about my autobiography; I’m here to talk about the day my life changed forever.

The day that I was no longer Hannah Moriati.

The day they stole my identity from me and morphed me into another being entirely.

 My life changed forever on Friday 31st May in which aesthetically, it actually should have been a good day. I mean, the sun was shining, the birds were singing. Little boys and girls were playing around in the local park, the soft breeze blowing through their healthy locks of hair. The whole scene looked more like a commercial for some sort of perfect summer holiday and we were all the happy cheery public who would sell this day to people like there was no tomorrow. It was deemed to be such a typical, perfect day, something of a miracle in England.

 Except those don’t exist.

I was walking home from my college, alone, headphones on and the world shut out. My clothes stuck to my clingy skin and I remember being in such a bad mood due to the horrible day I had at school. I just wanted to get home, shower and work on my next drama piece like the good drama student I am. But the sun was beating down heavily and the soft breeze was really just an illusion. To me anyway- I felt no breeze of the sort. The air was still and humid and I felt suffocated. I just couldn’t be in a good mood, despite the surprisingly good weather. I turned corners, crossed roads and walked into the alleyway that changed everything.

There was something about this particular alley- I always walk down it; it was like my very own ritual that I’ve carried out for the past five years. It was like my body couldn’t stop itself from just turning down that concrete jungle. As soon as I entered its realm a dark shade hung over me and the overgrown plants and weeds seemed to curl up against my naked, sandal wearing feet. The rusting iron railings either side of me doomed any chance of me escaping if I was cornered by a stranger with murdering tendencies. But that’s just something you hear in movies. Heck, I myself might be in a movie like that one day. You just push it from your mind, ignoring the concept that you really shouldn’t walk by yourself in a dark alleyway with no means of escape, or leaving at all.

Because it’s just something you see in movies.

Never underestimate the power of reality my friend.

So I was walking along, minding my own business when a tall figure appeared in the distance.  My body reacted before my mind with a series of goosebumps popping up on my arms. The air was suddenly cold, like even the elements themselves knew I should be wary. Anybody with half a brain cell would mentally prepare themselves for anything that might happen, which is exactly what I did. Series of various karate and self defence moves popped up like little moles in my head and I became conscious of the sudden vice-like grip I had gained on my books. These might come in handy I thought instinctively as the figure drew nearer and nearer. As they progressed towards me, I took the time to analyse them.

They were quite tall. They walked with a slouch that would signify a male but their overall frame seemed to be that of a girl. Their dark hood blocked out all elements of light and all that was really on show were their nose and lips, both quite dainty but… not. Whatever hair they had was taken away from my personal view and their hands were shoved in the pockets of their jeans. In general, it was hard to make out whether they were male or female. Most of the things that contributed towards any sort of physical identity had been well hidden and obstructed from my view, or anyone else’s for that matter. They appeared completely oblivious to me and on closer inspection, I realised that they were wearing headphones. I’m talking those massive, white, music blaring Dr Dre headphones. I don’t know how I didn’t see those before.

In an instant, my hands had relaxed. I have no idea why that became such a source of comfort. Maybe I thought that they too were too pre-occupied with their music that they would just ignore me and leave me alone.

And to my joy, they walked straight past me. Stupidly, I thought that was it. I walked on, and turned the music up a little louder. Only five more minutes Hannah and you’re home, I told myself. Despite my darkening mood, I tried to look forward to what was waiting behind my front door. It was inevitable that there was a really luxurious meal awaiting me and that my parents, seeing as it was their day off, would be trying to set up all the board games that we became obsessed with whenever they had the privilege of staying home.

A smile came to my face when it all dawned on me. In that small moment of contentment, I had forgotten every bad thing that had happened to me, from the hot coffee in my lap this morning from sweetie pie Leanne and the ‘C’ I got on my last assignment. All I concentrated on was the precious time I now knew I had with my parents. Each second and every step brought me closer to my front door. My happiness was growing by this time and the opening of the alleyway was literally a couple of metres away.

But all the happiness was snatched away when I felt myself falling. Everything seemed to be slowed down as I fell, the little passage of light signifying my close escape disappearing from my vision. Jerking awkwardly mid-air, I got a small glimpse of the person I had seen earlier before blacking out. 

The only thing I thought of before my black out was a vision of my parents, waiting at home at a dinner table set for three, in which one will never come.