Prologue

They had been watching her for a while now. Spending hours of their time just investigating one teenage girl, almost becoming their infatuation. They knew everything about her and everything that she aspired to be. She was almost like the perfect choice to them, something that one of them had been thinking of anyway. She was an actress- it would just make everything more practical and a lot easier. The younger of the two started getting ready for the Initial Phase- capture and detainment to anyone else.

“Are you sure?” she asked for what seemed like the hundredth time, looking towards her companion for some sense of reassurance. It was her first capture, something that they had trained her for. She knew the procedure and although she didn’t agree with it completely, it was better than being left on the streets alone.

“Yes” he answered, growing more and more irritated with the young girl. “Can’t you just get a grip?”

She didn’t answer, instead continuing with her ensemble solemnly; she didn’t take lightly to his constant rude comments at her and her age. Ignoring the pit of anger and despair that he had created inside her, she shook herself in an attempt to get the adrenaline pumping. Don’t mix business with my own personal objections, she thought to herself as she grabbed the tranquiliser that provided virtually no pain when shot at the back of a neck. Just as she was about to leave she was stopped by the clearing of a throat. She knew he wanted to say something- only he would do something as obnoxious as that just to grab someone’s attention.

“Yes” she said irritably, trying to push down her emotions in a futile attempt to remain calm.

“Oh I just want you to remember that we want-“

But she had halted stopped him from finishing the sentence at the raising of her hand. Her eyes remained dead and cold as she repeated everything that she had been told, almost as if it was engraved in the memory of her brain.

“You want her alive. She’s no use to us dead and we need her so that she can complete your deadly task you wimp” she interjected venomously, refusing to face him at all. From behind her, he laughed, finding her anger quite amusing. He knew she didn’t like this but she hadn’t given him a choice in the matter.

“I was just checking you understood” he called out as she slammed the door behind her.