Curl Up And Dye. (Gerard Way x Reader)

Start from the beginning

~

Gerard entered the store again, this time with hair that was a fading blue. A couple months had passed since he'd coloured his hair, so he was back to get another box of dye and touch it up. Maybe even switch up the colour.

What he hadn't expected upon his return to the shop was the hoard of excited chattering that greeted him as soon as he stepped foot inside. The store was packed almost to capacity with customers, most of which were hovering around the make-up section, where a temporary makeover station complete with chairs, lights, mirrors – everything – was set up.

The singer stood still for a moment, trying to gather his bearings amidst the chaos. He hadn't noticed your presence until you spoke.

"Psst, hey," you called out to him from an aisle away, where you were standing with a tray of sweet treats; he startled out of his trance and turned to you with wide eyes, making you chuckle at his adorableness, "Dye is 50% off. I'd move quickly, if I were you."

He gave a small smile. "Thank you," he breathed.

You scrunched your face up at him as if to say 'no problem' and started to move away, but he called out to stop you.

"Wait!" he took a step forward and extended his hand as if to stop you; you turned to him with an expectant look and he felt his nerves kick in. "I, uh, I'm Gerard."

You beamed at him. "Hi, Gerard. I'm (Y/N)."

"(Y/N)," he repeated, mentally paying close attention to each and every letter as it spilled from his lips. He smiled at you again, before leaning to look at the commotion behind you with a slight frown. "What's going on?"

"Oh," you glanced over your shoulders at the customers before refocusing on Gerard and jutting a thumb over at them, "We're having a special event for women's month. We brought in professional glam teams to host lessons and do makeovers. And I was tasked with the wonderful job of playing waitress," you held up the tray of fairy cakes in your hand.

You caught sight of your boss watching you, and you apologised to Gerard.

"I've gotta go. My boss is giving me side eye. But here," you picked up a cupcake and held it out to him; he gratefully accepted.

"It's cool. But before you go, do you have any colour suggestions?" he asked with a hopeful tone.

Walking backwards, you narrowed your eyes as you thought. "Neon green," you joked, shooting him a cheeky grin.

"Funny," he scoffed as he rolled his eyes at you. You laughed, giving a short wave before turning to offer treats to the customers.

Gerard waved back, before walking over to the hair care aisle, stopping in front of the dyes, and picking up one the colour of neon green.

~

"Dude, just ask her out already," Mikey groaned, lifting up his bass from his lap and setting it on its stand. "It's been months since you first met."

"Yeah but-"

"No buts," Ray interjected as he settled down next to Gerard, "just do it. Invite her to the release party."

"Isn't it a bit too soon for that, though?" the singer questioned warily, absentmindedly picking at the cuticles on his fingers.

"You dyed your hair green for her. You're clearly in love with the girl. The sooner you ask her out, the better," Frank chimed, lighting a cigarette and taking a drag.

"I'm not in love with her," Gerard defended before slumping down in his seat, "I think."

"Yeah," Frank laughed.