A chapter ends, our new story begins - Donatello

Please read: A/N - Love Is Blooming afterwards.
________________________________________________________________________________

The chilly wind dashed over the harbor of New York City's waters, making a couple of ripples show in the lazy waves, which hit against the quay of the harbor. The ned of Fall had finally showed itself, as Fall turned to Winter and cold turned even colder. Surprisingly the Winter whether, which had promised snow and ice, was crystal clear, making it look like the sky and sea were merging together.

Just around two weeks ago, you had returned back home from you long stay away from the Big Apple. It had at the start felt quite odd to come back to a lovely boyfriend and a noisy, yet precious, family you had longed for in literal ages. It had felt odd, yet you as well as the three other girlfriends quickly had adjusted to it and went back to the life before you had left. Soon enough the life in the Lair again had become the lively  home, it once had with both humans and Turtles living together in harmony.

Or perhaps not a complete harmony.

Something were off, Not necessarily in a bad way, but definitely there was something that stood out from how it used to be. Kind of like a unsolved puzzle, you can't figure out how to solve. You have the puzzle pieces, yet not all of them seem to fit. You couldn't put a finger on what was off, other than that you knew it had something to do with Donnie and his behavior. Of course, Donnie was as sweet and caring as always, but he seemed...nervous? Absent minded?

And when you actually found out, you certainly understood why.

Late at the evening, when the sky had turned its dark shades of blue, you had at last decided to talk with Donnie about it. Standing from the couch you had been sitting in, you crossed the floor towards the lab and knocked lightly on the door, waiting for permission to enter. One of the things, you definitely knew had changed ever since you came back home. You hadn't ever before needed permission, but these days Donnie had limited your stay in the lab to occasions where he was there with you.

Waiting another moment, you finally heard the faint sound of footsteps, before the door at last opened, revealing a troubled Donnie, who's grim expression quickly brightened into a gentle one, as seeing you.

"(Y/n)" he let out, smiling. "What a wonderful visitor. What's wrong?"

"W-Well..." you hesitated, taking a deep breath to calm yourself, as you continued. "I was wondering, if we could have a talk?"

"Of course, but  about what?" he questioned and moved away from the door, so you could enter. "I hope it's nothing serious."

"I'm not really sure myself. I-...I hoped you could tell me, whether it's serious or not," you replied and passed your boyfriend in purple as entering the familiar environment.

As always, the lab was filled to the rim with technology, medical supplies and other mystical things only a genius had any idea of what was and how to use. Surprisingly, however, a new sense, you never had smelled before, floated faintly in the air. It was the unmistakable smell of gunpowder, an ingredient often used in explosives. Quizzed you turned your head in a search for the cause of the smell, but failed to find it.  Donnie took a seat near his computer and gestured to a chair close to his, you could use.

"If I'm able to, I'll tell you," Donnie said encouraging. "But maybe a hint could help me onto the right path?"

Taking a seat on the indicated chair, you shifted your eyes up to his. "It's just...You've been acting weird, Donnie." A obvious discomfort flashed over his features for a brief moment, but faded quickly again, giving you no time to comment on it. "I don't know, if it's me who've done something wrong, but It'd make me happy, if you at least could tell me what you're hiding."

A moment of silence filled the air between you, as it seemed Donnie was contemplating hard on something. After awhile, he sighed, and gazed at you. "I guess, instead of telling you, It's time I show you." Giving the clock a glance, he nodded towards the door. "Take something warm on, alright? Then we can meet at the entrance." 

"But..."

Donnie shook his head. "I'll show you, just please trust me."

Hesitating for a moment, you nodded and stood from the chair to find a jacket, a warm beanie and some matching gloves that could keep you warm, seeing as you'd go out into the cold. After finding your necessary clothing, you went to the door, where Donnie was waiting for you in a long coat that could hide his green body.

"Ready?" he questioned, lending you a hand to hold.

As answer you took his outstretched hand and nodded. Tucking on your hand, you let Donnie guide you way out of the Lair, around the sewers and onto the surface. Much to your confusion, instead of ending up in the city, when you finally climbed out of a manhole, you instead found yourself at the outskirt of the city closest to the ocean.

"The ocean..." you mumbled peacefully at the sound of waves. "It's wonderful."

Chuckling, Donnie gave a nod. "Yeah, even in the cold it has its beauty. "Squeezing your hand, he smiled. "Like someone else, I know."

It took you a moment to comprehend, before you features turned a scarlet red with shyness. No matter how many times he'd compliment you, your reaction always would be the same. "A-Anyway, why are we here?"

"You were right, when you said, i hid something from you. But I only did so, because I wanted to find the perfect moment to reveal it,"  he explained and gestured out over the open waters. "This is for you."

Confused, you looked in the direction he was referring to. Barely had you done so, before as gasp escaped you, as the whine of firework being shot was heard.  You watched in awe as s row of fireworks shot up from the horizon and into the sky, before they exploded overhead of you in the various colors of sparkles. It was a beautiful sight, even better than the one you had seen in Japan so many years ago. However, different from usual fireworks, those ones did more than explode. In awe you stared at the many colors as they formed actual words on the sky, illuminating the waves of the ocean.

"'I love you'," you read out loud, breathlessly from the letters on the sky. Turning back to Donnie to get an explanation of what was going on, you gasped another time that evening, seeing your beloved boyfriend on knees in front of you."D-Donnie..."

"I've been working on this ever since you left," Donnie told, giving you a faint smile. "It has been long days and night without sleep and only coffee as company. But I never gave up at making this, because it was for you,"

Reaching into his coat, he brought a small box and you immediately knew what was about to happen. Your eyes grew teary, as you clasped your hands over your mouth at the sight of the ring, he showed you. It was a beautiful engagement ring. A ring shining even more than a star itself.

"(Y/n), I'd do anything for you, if it meant I couple protect your precious smile. I can't offer you fortune nor diamonds or gold, but I can promise you a future, where I'll show and pay you back for all the love and kindness you've given me." Standing up, he's eyes met your wide ones as he spoke with a voice softer than any pillow could compete against. "I love you so so much, (Y/n) that it hurts just to be apart from you for even a moment." Lifting the ring up for you to see, Donnie smiled to you. "(Y/n) (M/n) (L/n), will you do me the honor and marry me?"

You didn't even try to stop the raspy sobs from escaping from you.  Your heart ached so painfully with happiness and warmth that you couldn't tell whether or not you'd be alive enough to give a answer. 

"I-I love you too," you sniffed, as wiping your eyes in your sleeves. It wasn't the time for tears this was crucial and you had to convey your feelings right. "Yes, I'd love to."

With obvious relief and happiness panting into his features, Donnie brought you into his arms and sealed your engagement with a kiss, making your delighted tears flow anew.

TMNT 2003 Boyfriend Scenario - Love Is Blooming