Reunited connections - Leonardo + Short A/N

Thank you everyone for the great ideas you shared with me from last week!
They were awesome, and I'll be sure to incorporate them one way or another in the future.
In the meantime. I'm incredibly sorry for writing so poorly, but you'll enjoy anyway.

The idea for this chapter was inspired by Iridian_Deadheart
This probably weren't your original thought, but hope you like it.
Thank you for your support
________________________________________________________________________________

For just about a year ago you never had imagined that there existed a life for you outside of your uncle and aunts harsh tyranny. You never imagined you'd become girlfriend to a mutant nor that a dimensional portal would kidnap you to an alternative universe. On the other hand though, which person with their sanity in intact would ever imagine such things?

You were far from accustomed to the life you had been dragged into, and you strongly doubted you ever would. You didn't mind that this life was different from your old one. After all you, instead of abusive guardians, had gotten a sweet boyfriend in exchange. But still you couldn't help but wonder where you'd have been now if you and Leo still just had been friends. What if you hadn't left your aunt and uncle? What if time had frozen the days before you and Leo's relationship had developed?

Today you wandered around on the streets with no particular destination in mind. While your brain was entertaining itself with 'if-questions', your legs automatically led you onto the route you always had taken when you were doing errands for your aunt.  You knew this part of New York just as much as your own pocket. Every shop, every alley, every inch of that part you had went across time after time.

As you neared one of the more small stores you had been quite find of, you stopped in your track and gazed up at the sign you had read so many times: 2nd Time Around the sign told in big letters. Before you had met Leo, this had been one of your favorit stores. It still was, but after discovering that the owner you used to talk with was the 'big sister' of the turtles, it no longer seemed like it used to.

Heaving a breath, you pushed the door open and entered the building. Like it had used to be the store was mainly filled with antiques and other random things other stores normally never would have on display. And just as back then, April sat behind the deck while dusting off one of her antiques.  When she noticed you, her face lit up in a kind smile.

"(Y/n)," she greeted and waved you over. "I haven't seen you here since Leo introduced you." You stepped timidly over to her waving awkwardly in return. "How are you sweetie?"

"I'm...I'm alright, thanks," you answered. 

Why had you went into the store? In the past when you had had problems, you often stayed awhile with April as she always had helped to cheer you up. But why were you there now? You had no troubles she had to distract you from. Had she?

April wrinkled her nose slightly, yet still kept her smile on. "I heard you and Leo have made up and are back to normal. I'm glad."

Just by hearing her comment your stomach made a uneasily turn. Yes, you had went back to normal. At least mostly. However, ever since you had returned home, a faint, barely noticeable awkwardness had centered between you. Some business were unfinished, yet the question was what?

"Yeah..." You trailed off a second troubled before afterward adding hesitant. "Actually...April...I wondered..."

"Oh, I know what you're wondering about. You're looking for Leo, right?" She stood and patted your shoulder lightly, before stepping far enough away to shout, without giving you a second to deny. "LEO! You're awaited!"

Although you were surprised to know Leo was there, you were even more taken aback by the fact he appeared so quickly. Just a second after had been called he entered from a second door, the one showing up to April's apartment, almost as if he had been waiting for the moment to show up.

"Hi (Y/n)," he greeted smiling genuinely happy to see you.

"Hey." You smiled a smile much like his, though, it in your case didn't reach up completely to your eyes.

Noticing the little difference, Leo went over and took your hand in his gently tucking you towards the door simultaneously as speaking. "We'll leave for today, April. I'll tell Donnie you have what he requested."

"Leo? W-Wait...Where are we going?" Startled and confused you let Leo guide you out the door and into the nearby alley close to April's apartment. In the alley he let go of your hand and pulled down the the fire-escape's ladder before turning to you.

He scratched the back of his head apologetic. "Sorry I dragged you out like that. I just...heard your conversation and..." Self-consciously he shook his head and tried anew. "(Y/n), can I take you somewhere?"

"Eh? Of course...?" you replied, uncertain at his sudden suggestion. "Where, though?"

"You'll see..."

Not revealing much more, Leo helped you climb the ladder before he ascended up to the rooftop as well. Through your journey over the City from roof to roof, you kept pondering with a hidden curiosity to where he was taking you. The buildings you jumped on to seemed familiar, yet you weren't sure whether or not they actually were. This part of town you never had seen from above, making it easy to misjudge your sense of direction.

About 10 minutes of walking later, Leo stopped near the edge of the building you were standing on. He gestures with a light nod for you to come closer and take a look. You stepped beside him and looked down into the new alley you had arrived at. Widening your eyes by the view, your head snapped towards him with shock drawn into every inch of your features.

"Why did you bring me...Why...What..."

"I thought something familiar could help," Leo explained quietly while send you a troubled look. Turning away from you he glanced down at your destination: your old apartment. "I know it brings bad memories back, but...It has been your home longer than any other place."

Wordless you stared through the window and into the room you for a long time ago had been locked up in. You hadn't been there ever since the night you had stormed out of it. Now you saw it, and yet you couldn't believe the empty looking space once had been yours.

"To be honest, with the exceptions of you uncle and aunt, then this place hold some of my happiest memories," Leo continued, a nostalgic tone in his words. "Coming to visit you almost every night, enjoying the time while things still were simple." You turned to him speechless for what to say, making him sigh. He was time he revealed his real reason for taking you there. "(Y/n), I'm sorry, I dragged you into my life. Getting you involved with dimensions, ninjas, mutants; you never asked for any of it."

You eyes met his regretful ones briefly and for a moment, just a moment, he was the turtle you knew from your frist days of friendship: A ninja who always kept you at a distance to keep you from the harm. Leo had always barely shared his privacy with you in the past. Now you knew why. His life was complicated and rough, and he hadn't wished for you to experience the same crazy stuff as he did.

Forgetting your earlier shock you shook your head smiling lightly. "Leo, I don't regret anything. It's true I miss just laughing and being normal, but I'd never change the fact I'm being a part of the world you never shared with me."

"(Y/n), staying with us, with me; we can't get back a simple time together."

You took his hand feeling somewhat more fred than earlier. The build awkwardness felt like it was crumble little by little. "Even if I get kidnapped over and over, then I won't wish to go back to my old life." You smiled to him. "Plus, doesn't this feel fairly simple? The situation has changed since then, but we haven't."

Which was true. Just being nostalgic together and hold hands like a normal couple. You and Leo hadn't changed at all, and probably you never would. A little awkwardness wouldn't tear you apart. It'd only reunite you anew.

Leo returned your words by squeezing your hand lightly. Shoulder by shoulder you both gazed down at your old, empty room where your importance for one another for awhile ago had unfolded.