Time doesn't matter - Donatello

You know that sort of 'aww' moment, which happens in movies, where lovers reunite after years and years apart, giving completely no care to surrounding nor bystanders watching?

Well, that was not exactly what happened with your return to the Big Apple.

Actually, rather than like in the movies, it more ended up like one of these bad written scenarios of some odd fangirl, you always find on the internet: Awfully adorable, yet awfully awkward too.

It had been three whole years, you had been gone from New York City, three whole years where you had established yourself a complete new life and three whole years where you had created all sorts of memories for a lifetime.

So long had it been, since you had last said goodbye with someone and something precious to you, and now it was time to say another goodbye, this time, however, with new people and new places...A new home.

Yesterday, your final day at the school, at the parking-lot you had been watching Dade help you carrying your things into your car. You had felt guilty about letting him help you with it, but every time you had mentioned that matter for him, he had shaken his head and told you, he wanted to send you off in a good way, until the next time you'd meet. Having exchanged a heartfelt hug and addresses, you had taken a seat in the car, going completely red at the kiss on your cheek, you had received, before the vehicle departured.

After a day of driving, you finally were back in the city of dreams; New York City, sometime late in the evening. As you rid through the city, you were delighted to see that nothing apparently had changed, at least not on the surface. The familiar buildings, the feeling of being back in the middle of everything, the smells and tastes. Everything was just as you remember.

Having paid the driver for his kind help getting you back, you took all your things into your hands, and went to find the nearest manhole possible that could lead you to the Lair. It didn't take you long to find one nor to climb down into the sewers and onto a route you knew very well.

A few butterflies started to form in your belly, as you walked down the long tunnels to your long awaited home, where your family hopefully would be waiting. You were excited to see the four brothers and master Splinter, but most of all you were most excited to see Donnie.

What had he been doing those past years? What new inventions had he created? And most of all, how would he react when he saw you again? You couldn't help, but wonder with curiousty, what answers you'd get to those questions.

In the last three years you had experience lots and lots of things, you'd gladly want to share with him as well, as showing the little changes you had gone through. From being a shy and sensitive girl, you now could call yourself a little more open and even confident woman. If you had changed on these few years, you were sure Donnie had been through a lot too.

Maybe your shared bond had changed?

Just as the doors to the Lair opened, your excitement suddenly turned to nerves, as the last thought went through your head. Could that be a possibility? Could you grow actually grow apart?

Further didn't you get to wonder, as you stepped into the Lair and were met with the sounds of battle-cries echoing between the walls. At the dojo-section, on the mats, the four brother and master Splinter had gathered in a intense session of training. It was a intimidating sight to see them so focused, but your own attention only belonged to one of them: Donnie.

Muscular and intelligent, yet still with his sweet and gentle aura, Donnie did one kata one after another very beautifully, till the point where breaking his concentration would be a total shame.

Therefore, did master Splinter you a favor and broke it for you.

"Donatello, my son. Do a Soto-uke stand," Splinter ordered with a sparkle in his eye.

Obeying willingly, Donnie made a roundhouse-kick as spinning around. His eyes instantly grew in size, when his eyes found yours, before he broke into a smile and he forgot everything about finishing his training, as he stepped off the mat.

"(Y/n)!" he exclaimed.

"Donnie!" you agreed.

Both of you closed the distance between you in under a second, yet both of you stopped up just at the last second, suddenly not sure how to greet each other, specially with the others watching you.

Tryingly you both made a gesture to hug, but found it too awkward and instead changed it to a handshake. This you a moment later you both changed to a kissing-position, but regreted it and simply just stood over for each other, blushing heavily. The awkwardness between you only thickened, as neither of you moved.

"U-Uhm..." you hesitated after awhile.

Barely had you uttered your hesitation, before you were surprised to feel a pair of strong arms, belonging to Donnie, enfolded you into a tight hug. You blinked a few times, before your confusion finally turned back into the butterflies from earlier. You wrapped your arms around his shell, burrying your face into his chest.

"I missed you so much, (Y/n)," Donnie whispered in your ear, holding you even closer, "Welcome home."