Secrets become revealed pt 1. - Donatello

Many people feel lost or broken when their pets run away from them or when someone in their family passes away. You yourself had never tried losing a family-member, but as you felt now, you guessed it was a feeling very close to the one you had now.

You hadn't seen nor heard from Donnie for what felt like eternity to you. Where was he? Was he hurt? Had you done something to offend him? Why didn't he call you? Every kind of questions bottled themselves up inside your head in one big mess.

As soon as you never got a answer on your first text, you knew something wasn't right. Donnie answered always, If not instantly then a couple hours after. But that for you, never happened. You weren't sad, nor angry, just worried and frightened. If something had happened to him, the only real friend you ever had had, what would you do? What should you do?

As the only plan you could come up with you decided to search for him. First around midtown where most people could be found, at least often, but there was no luck. You tried the harbor where you first had met Klunk. Even if Donnie wasn't there, then maybe Klunk would be there again and could lead you to him.

Sadly as you walked around there were no sign of a orange cat and neither of Donnie. You asked a few people too, without mentioning the turtle part, but even so no one had seen or heard of him. For every place you searched, you felt a little more desperate to the point where you started doubting if Don had been real at all. Maybe he was a part of your imagination or maybe you were sleeping right now? But you had known Donnie for weeks now. He could't just be fantasy, could he?

You climed up of the metal ladders to the rooftop you and Donnie oftest met on. When you reached the top you looked around you, seeing if you could spot any sign of a green silhouette. To your surprise you found not far from you a small cloth. A cloth you had given Donnie a while ago as a present to him. You picked it up and clenched it tightly in your hand, Why was it here?

You had no clue. And something told you, you wouldn't find the answer there. You sighed and shook your head reminding yourself you couldn't feel down now when you had a mission. That's how you thought days after days while turning the half of New York for every of its stones in your search for your missing friend.

After a week or so with running from one end of the city to the other with no result, your hope had faded into a faint wish. You still kept the cloth you had given Donnie in your pocket, but the longer you kept the heavier it felt.

The last place you sought was Central Park. It was dark in the later hours and no one else but you seemed to be in the park. You walked along an allée and called out his name. To no one's surprising there was no answer. Normally you loved the park and to be closer to the nature, but not now while you walked in the dim light, surrounded by scary threes there in union swayed as the wind rocked them.

As your feet began hurting, you stopped your calls and instead slumped down on a bench exhausted. While sitting there in silence, quiet tears started appearing in the corner of your eyes. You hadn't really thought about it, but maybe the reason Donnie was gone, really was because he thought you were a burden? Others thought that, so why should he?

You sat there for a while, just looking down sobbing of what you believed were the truth. Somewhere sudden almost unnoticeable steps came closer to you. Though you were curious who it was, you just kept your gaze at your feet, just wanting to be alone. With surprise, you confounded felt a pair of arms wrap around you in a light hug.

Normally you would have screamed if someone in a dark park at middle of the night embraced you, but this time you didn't. Without even having  to look up, you recognized the warmth holding you and the gentleness in a touch you hadn't felt for eons..

"(Y/n)..." Donnie's low voice rang close to your ear. "Don't be sad..."

In disbelief of what you heard, you looked up not trusting your ears. But truly he was the real deal. Locking your eyes with a pair of familiar caring eyes, you knew for an instant that you had found the one you had been looking for.  A feeling of relief and confusion rushed through you as the questions build up inside of you.

"D-Don?" you stuttered. "You're r-really here?"

As answer he tightened his hold around you and repeated his words: "Don't be sad."

Of his words, your heart quickened in a dangerously high speed and questions started mixing with feelings you had been suppressing the past week. He here was right in front of you. After have felt lonely for days, here he finally was and the first thing he tells you is 'Don't be sad'.  Unable to control it, everything that had been bottled up overwhelmed you, drowning every of your senses.

You pushed his arms away forcefully. "Where have you been?" you cried out. "Why are you here now of all times? I've been looking for you for so long."

"I know..." he answered.

"You know? Then why haven't you showed up before now!"

Your voice seemed to echo loud between the trees in the empty park. You could see the the regret in Donnie's eyes as he just looked at you apologetically with no answer to give. His gaze made you unsure, but as soon as he tried reaching out for your cheek you waved it off with a arching.heart.

"I wanted to (Y/n). I really did, but..." His voice was sad from your action, but he kept his tone gentle. "I had to figure something out"

"And you couldn't do that with me around?" you asked.

He shook his head. 'Not with...this."

If he had something to figure out, why couldn't he just share it with you? You wondered over it shortly. Don was a gently person. He wasn't the kind of person who went around saying mean things recklessly to hurt others. Maybe he wouldn't tell you his reason to be gone, because he simply didn't trust you?

"You wouldn't share it with me....because you don't trust me?"

"What? That's not it (Y/n). Of course I trust you." Shaking his head while speaking, he looked back at you hesitant. "I trust you...but I couldn't tell you about it."

You wiped your eyes with the back of your hand to stop your eyes from watering more than they already were. If it wasn't the trust that lacked, what was it then? What would be so bad that he couldn't tell you about it?

You were sad that he had left in the first place, but also happy he had returned. You knew you couldn't blame him for wanting time for himself. You couldn't force him either to tell something he didn't want to, but it would hurt less if he at least would give you a reason for his disappearing.

You breath out, trying to calm your mess of a mind "Don't tell me then. It's fine."

Don watched you sadly seeing the upset expression you were wearing. Of the tone in your voice it was clear it wasn't fine  It pained him to see you like that and to know he was the one who had caused it. What could he do?

"I'll tell you," he said slowly after a moment's silence, "but please, hear me out first."

"If you don't want to,  don't." While speaking you kept your eyes at everything but Don. You were curious what he would say, but the cruel truth that he maybe would say something you didn't wanted to hear made it too much for you.

"I want to...You deserve to know."

Surprised you felt a pair of hands cupping your cheeks turning your gaze to lock with his. You wanted to look away, you couldn't manage. The words that escaped from him freezing you in place. Though it came out quietly, it felt like it were echoing incredible loud in the empty park surrounding you.

"I like you."

To be continued