Sixty-ninth Cliché

He did not even know how much time had passed since that ball or party hosted by some rich girl.

Mark had not gone to his classes since fighting with Mia. He just had no desire to go back.

Mark's drive home was quiet. He didn't say anything and the one who was driving did not say anything either. The driver was an old friend, someone he had known since he was a child, his father's personal driver.

The silence was deafening yet there was a peace in the car. Mark was glad for the silence. It was not something he had recently.

Recently it had been too noisy and too loud around him and so he was thankful for the silence, but the silence also brought time for him to think. In the leather seats of the car, he sat in the back, quietly, his arm leaning against the car door. His hand covered his mouth as he muttered, and his eyes were shut tightly as images of good time played slowly. Somehow the images as sweet and wonderful it was, there was a bitterness at the very end.

The driver, glancing back every few moments, knew that the sudden visit from the male was serious. It had been years since he had come back to their headquarters, his home. Usually when his father wanted to meet, they met at restaurants, or at a park, or in the car—never back at home.

It taken a lot for Mark to decide to go back home. It had not been easy for him to decide on this. It had been difficult for him overall, but since losing his important someone, and feeling powerless, Mark had forced himself to look into himself. Nothing had helped him by being powerless, he had been unable to fight even for himself.

The act had finally became true and he realized what his father had meant before.

You will lose yourself.

His father had been right, of course...and losing himself had been detrimental to him.

Though his father was reckless and sometime too temperamental, he had his wisdoms, courage and experience. Mark could not undermine that. Perhaps...he was older as well, Mark could understand his father.

"Master?"

"Yes," Mark broke from his empty thoughts to look at the driver. It seemed that the car has stopped. He had wanted to question why they had stopped but it was unneeded.

"We are here sir."

Mark nodded as he got out, once Ryu had opened the door. Following Ryu, he entered his abode. He revived the greeting from the few, before taking himself through the door that held his father. Mark met his father's smile  with a blank expression. Since that time, smiling had been very difficult for him.

"You're home." Mark's father smiled knowing that Mark had something stolen from him. He had been waiting for a call from him and it had come—just as he had predicted.

"Father." Mark nodded his face tense as he hugged his father. He was always glad to be home but since that night, since that day, he had been in a foul mood. He was reverting back to his previous self. He wasn't sure if that was good or not, but it did make things easier for him.

"You look good, but what has gotten my son in such a foul mood?" The tall man was dressed in black pants and black button down shirt, with his hands riddled with rings and a colorful tattoo that peeked at the collar. He gestured to the seat before the large glass table for his son to sit. "Sit, it must have been a long week." Mark took the seat that his father gestured. He watched his father watch him. "What is it, there must have been a reason for you to come to the house?"

"I've been thinking father, and it's time for me to come back." Mark said with his eyes unwavering. He had made his decision.

Upon hearing his son's words, the older man grinned. The words that he had been itching to hear from his son were finally spoken and he could not help the glee that came from within. Finally his heir and progeny was willing to come home.

"And this is for good?" A gray eyebrow was raised.

"Father," Mark sighed before continuing, "I would not have brought this up if I was not serious. It's time."

"Does this have anything to do with that girl?" The father peered at Mark carefully, watching his reactions. He could see the tension in Mark's jaws as the girl was mentioned. "I have ears. I hear things too, my son."

"My decision is separate from Mia and I's relationship. As I said before, whatever it may have been before, the relationship now is real." His teeth gritted as he thought about the hands that he had seen around Mia's waist. "I'm coming back father, and I will take no opposition from you. And whether or not Mia is in the scene is up to me."

His father chuckled as he leaned back into the plush leather chair. He tapped the armrest lightly before smiling widely. His son was back and he could not help but get happy about that. His intimidating face was lighter and brighter.

"Good. Good, took you too long." He got up to walk over to his son. "They've been waiting for you, you know. I'm getting old and the other elders had been getting antsy."

"Tsk." He clicked his tongue. He hated the old men who bickered and nagged constantly. "Will I have problems with them and my return?"

His father considered it.

"Some, but not all. Most remember you and they know who you are and whose son you are. With you determined to come back, no one will be able to deny your return to our family. And this family was built upon our name, your great grandfather's name. It will not end after me. Those know that there is no survival if this group is not under our name."

Mark nodded knowing that was true. It was almost like a curse, their family had to to run the business.

Mark looked at his surroundings as his father and he walked throughout their house. Old memories came back as he absently listened to his father. Mark's focus was on his surroundings instead as he was reminded of a time not long ago. The large abode was large but it had always been bustling. As a child he had always seen his house full. He had never had his home quiet and his home to himself. Coming back home, into this place, felt out of touch for him, but he did not mind.

It had been at the back of his mind, always.

Sooner or later he would have had to come back home. And Mark knew that...

This was much sooner than he thought, but it did not matter, not anymore. Plans changed and he was willing to change with it.

In this case, he was willing to revert back to old times.

Entering the big hall, mark was greeted by rows of people. People of different ages, but all people he knew. With a glance of his eyes on his father, he knew that he had prepared this. His father had prepped this beforehand knowing either his decision to return or to force him to return.

"Welcome back!" A large roar entered his ears as he stepped into the main hall. At first he thought it was directed at his father but soon he realized that it was not his father but him. Mark was taken back.

"Go in, my son. They've been waiting for you."

Old face, new face, and there was even a familiar face from long time ago.

All faces that hid certain emotions behind their happy faces. Some were truly happy and glad to have the heir back, but some were less than happy. Nonetheless, Mark was back and there was no denying that there is no one but the heir that would smoothly lead them further. Because going up was difficult but going down was easy.

This was his home.

This was his place...

As...the next leader of the Mafia that had been ruling one half of the country's underground world.

He was Mark.