3: Sleep

The next morning, I was sitting at the dining table, finishing up some paper work. Kells was playing his guitar and talking to Slim, on the opposite side of the table. Brit was doing her morning ritual, in her room. Rook was eating breakfast a seat away from me. Dub was on the couch watching TV, as Mill slept on the cushion beside him. Mars was sitting on the opposite side of the couch, watching TV too. Ryder was showering.

"Marilyn." I heard Tasha call out, and walk in my room. "Oh my god. Who the hell are you?" We all heard a few seconds later.

I laugh under my breath as Tasha comes down the hall.

"Marilyn?" Tasha calls, looking around.

"I'm in here, babe." I laugh a little, not looking up from my papers.

"Marilyn, first of all, who the hell is the gorgeous man in your shower?" Tasha takes a deep breath, looking at me, as she leans her hand on the table.

"His name is Ryder, and he's Brittany's brother." I inform her, without looking at her.

"Brittany's brother? Brittany has a brother? Wait... Brittany has a HOT brother?" Tasha asks, confused.

"My thoughts exactly." I chuckle a little, looking up at her. "Why? What did you want, B?" I ask.

"What happened to your lip?" She asks, grabbing my face.

I saw Mr. Baker's head look over in my direction, in the corner of my eye.

"Mill scratched me, throwing a tantrum, last night." I inform.

"We gonna have to trim his nails." She said, letting go of my face. "Have you seen my phone charger?"

"No, but you can use mine." I say.

"I thought I had packed it." She sighs, walking away.

I shake my head, at her madness, and get back to the paper work. I started swaying my leg to Kells and Slim playing music, Rook was tapping along with them. Ryder came into the kitchen, sitting next to me. I looked up at him and gave a half smile.

"You never went to bed, last night." He blurted.

"I couldn't sleep. So, I started doing some paper work." I nod, gesturing to the paper work.

"Mmm" he hums softly, nodding.

My phone started to ring, causing me to jump a little. I look and see it's Chris calling. I sigh.

"I'm sorry. I gotta take this." I say, walking away.

I heard everyone introducing themselves to Ryder as I left, going out on the deck.

"Hello." I answer.

"Look, I'm sorry for what I said. I shouldn't have been so jealous. You told me what I was getting into, and-" he started.

"Chris, I really hope you aren't expecting me to apologize and change so your feelings don't get hurt." I interrupted.

"Well, damn, Marilyn. Ya know, I changed for you." He raised his voice.

"I never asked you to, Chris." I raise my voice slightly.

"You didn't have to fucking ask. I wanted to change for you, Marilyn." Chris almost scoffs.

"Well, that has nothing to do with me. I never told you that you had to change." I yell not too loud.

"You know, that's your problem, Marilyn. You're so caught up in one person that you don't care to observe what others are doing for you. You push everyone away because you've been hurt so bad that you can't let anyone else in. You think everyone is out to get you and their only intention is to hurt you. You're wrong, Marilyn. One of these days you're gonna regret pushing them away, and you're gonna be left alone." Chris informs, coldly.