Chapter 5

Gilbert Residence

Jeremy was asleep in his bed while Stefan paced beside his bed; still watching out for him. He heard the front door open. Not expecting Elena to come home yet. Unbeknownst to him, it was Katherine posing as Elena again. He went down the stairs. "Hey! How was Caroline?" He asked her concerned. "Not good." She said and embraced him. "Just what I needed." She said and pulled out of the embrace. They locked eyes and she tried to kiss him but Stefan, realized it was Katherine; he grabbed her by the back of her neck and bared his fangs at her. He threw her over the couch but Katherine recovered without missing a beat. "Katherine." He said out of breath. "At least I fooled one of you." She said with a smirk.

He rushed over to her and pushed her against the wall. "Feel better?" She asked with a wicked smirk. He pushed her against another wall as someone began to open the front door. Stefan was distracted by this and Katherine took the opportunity, grabbed his arm, bent it backwards till it broke, and threw him down on the floor. She smiled and rushed out of the house. Elena, Cassie and Damon entered the house. "Stefan you okay?" Cassie asked, ran over to him and helped him up. Stefan quickly snapped his arm back into place. "Yeah. Thanks Cassie." He said out of breath. "What happened?" Elena asked confused. Damon looked around the house and figured it out. "Katherine happened." He said dumbfounded.

Cassie, Damon and Stefan moved into the kitchen while Elena went upstairs to check on Jeremy. "Did she say what she wanted?" Damon asked curiously. "No." Stefan said quickly. "Woman certainly knows how to make an entrance." Cassie said sarcastically and sat down. "She said she fooled one of us, at least. What does that mean?" Stefan asked them. Cassie and Damon exchanged troubled glances. Stefan noticed it. "She pretended to be Elena too when Cassie and I showed up earlier tonight." Damon told him. Cassie tilted her head and gave him a 'really?' expression.

Elena entered the room and stood next to Stefan. "I told Jeremy, I can't lie to him anymore." Elena said in a huff. "Are you alright?" Stefan asked and put a hand on her shoulder. "No, I'm not alright. I thought that with all the tomb vampires gone things would get better." Elena explained agitated. "I know. We all did." Stefan said sympathetically. "Okay right now our problem is Katherine. She was in this house, that means she's been invited in, what are we gonna do?" Cassie asked frustrated. "Move." Damon said sarcastically. "Wow Damon! So helpful. Thank you, Dick." Cassie spat at him. Stefan smiled at Cassie's snarky attitude. Elena sat down next to Cassie. "Katherine wants you dead; there's zero you can do about it; you would be dead but you're not. So clearly she has other plans." Damon explained to Cassie and Elena. "Right and we need to find out what those other plans are and not provoke her in the process. What happened tonight when you and Cassie thought she was Elena?" Stefan asked Damon and Cassie.

They looked at each other. Cassie bit her lip. "Well, I arrived as Damon was leaving but I just took her dress and make up box up to Elena's room and tried calling you, Stefan." Cassie explained and shot Damon a nervous glance. "Damon?" Stefan asked him; waiting to hear his story. Damon sighed and smiled. "To risk another frown line encroaching on a very crowded forehead. We... Kissed." Damon said with a tight lipped smile. "And you thought it was me?" Elena asked sounding almost offended. "What do you mean you kissed?" Stefan asked him. Cassie saw that he was pissed. "Well, you know, when two lips pucker and they go." Damon explained and he puckered his lips and made kissing noises. Stefan rushed at him with his vamp speed but Damon used his vamp speed as well and stood next to Elena. "Don't be obvious, Stefan." Damon said with a smirk. He was egging Stefan on. Stefan stared towards Damon again but Elena stood up and held him back while Cassie blocked Damon. Damon looked at Cassie confused. She was pissed at him; pretty much hated him, why was she protecting him? "Stefan wait, he kissed Katherine, not me." She said to Stefan then turned her head and looked at Cassie, then at Damon. "I wouldn't do that." Elena said more to Damon then Stefan. Cassie sighed in anger. "We don't have time for this guys. We have a bigger problem right now." Cassie said as she looked at both men. "Later." Stefan said to Damon with a sneer. Damon gave him a glare and nodded. "John must know something. There has to be a reason why Katherine tried to kill him." Elena assumed.

Cassie nodded in agreement but she was pulled from her thoughts when Damon moved next to her. "She's Katherine. She loves to play games and you're fooling yourself if you think you're going to find out what she's been up to before she wants you to know." Damon said knowingly. Cassie sighed knowing he was right. He probably knew her better than anyone. "No, actually Elena's right, John could know something through Isobel. Your mother, she was in touch with Katherine so maybe we can go to the hospital and get him to talk." Stefan had came up with a game plan which might just work. "I've got a better idea." Damon said smirking. "And what is that, oh brilliant one?" Cassie asked and rolled her eyes at him. Elena smiled at Cassie's attitude toward him. She was proud that Cassie wasn't letting Damon take advantage of her or hurt her anymore. "I'm just gonna ignore the bitch. See you." Damon said and started to leave but Cassie moved in front of him. "Do you really think that's a smart thing to do?" Cassie asked him and narrowed her eyes at him. "If Katherine thinks she's been ignored it will lure her out, she'll make a move." Damon explained his motives. "Yeah? And then what?" Stefan asked doubting his brother's idea. "Stake her, rip her head off, something poetic. We'll see." Damon said with a smile and walked out of the kitchen then out the door. Cassie scoffed in anger. "He's gonna get us killed." She said angrily. Stefan and Elena exchanged worried glances because they knew Cassie could be right. Damon was reckless; pissing Katherine off was not a good idea considering no one knew where she was or why she was even in Mystic Falls.