Chapter 9

Lockwood Mansion

Cassie was getting some food inside the house when Bonnie approached her while Damon listened intently. "Cassie, did you know the Gilbert device affected Tyler?" Bonnie asked her. "Yeah Bonnie, because I was there watching Tyler suffer. Oh and by the way, it affected me too but not to the point that it hurt Damon, Stefan and Tyler. So thanks for that." Cassie told her with a sneer. Cassie was still angry at Bonnie for betraying them. "I'm sorry I lied okay." Bonnie said trying to excuse herself. "Well just be grateful Damon saved Caroline or her blood would've been on your hands." Cassie said angrily and got in Bonnie's face.

That's when Damon decided to step in. "Easy Cassie. I know the device also took the mayor down." Damon said and raised his eyebrows. "Don't you want to know why?" Bonnie asked both of them. "Yes Bonnie, I would love to know why a non-vampire was tortured by the vampire torture device that you let John Gilbert use against us." Damon said sarcastically. Cassie interrupted. "Speaking of your guilt, how's Caroline?" She asked Bonnie with a sneer. "She's much better." Bonnie shot back. "You're welcome." Damon said to Bonnie. "No, you're welcome." Bonnie told him off. "Really Bonnie?" Cassie interjected taken aback by Bonnie's tone. "Why am I welcome?" Damon asked her confused. "You live to see another day." Bonnie threatened him.

Cassie stepped in front of Damon. "Back off Bonnie. This whole mess is your fault." Cassie said to her with narrowed eyes but Bonnie stood her ground. "No good deal goes unpunished with you, does it?" Damon asked with a smirk. "Doesn't undo the bad. I know what you are Damon, you might have Elena and the sheriff and everybody else fooled but not me. One wrong move and I'm gonna take you out." Bonnie threatened him again which seriously pissed Cassie off. "Now you need to stop with the witches' brew. You're starting to believe your own press." Damon said with his signature smirk. Bonnie looked at Damon. She focused on his head. Damon started to hold his head in pain. "Damon?" Cassie saw that he was in pain and it dawned on her it was Bonnie. "Stop Bonnie. Now!" Cassie raised her voice at her. Bonnie stopped after that. Cassie glared at her. "Oh, I'm sorry, you were saying?" Bonnie asked Damon with snark. "What the hell is wrong with you Bonnie Bennett?" Cassie asked; now furious at Bonnie's behavior. Bonnie ignored Cassie and left.

Cassie turned back to Damon. "You okay?" Cassie asked him with genuine concern. "Like you care." Damon spat angrily. "What is that supposed to mean?" Cassie asked taken aback. "You and Tyler. That's what I mean. You seem to care for him so I guessed you didn't care about me anymore." Damon said angrily. Cassie was done being treated like crap by him. "You know what, I'll always care about you because you're one of my best friends and I'm loyal to my friends. And you're in love with Elena or Katherine or whoever so maybe your anger should be directed at them instead of the girl who was madly in love with you and had your back everytime no one else would." Damon was taken aback by her words. He knew how right she was. "So when you're ready to actually start being friends again and you've gotten over yourself; you let me know." Cassie said so loudly, Tyler heard her and came in to make sure Damon wasn't hurting her.

He walked up behind her and put a hand on her back. "Cas, you okay?" He asked her. Damon glared at him. Cassie broke her glare from Damon and turned to Tyler. "Yeah, I'll be fine. I just need some air." Cassie said flustered. "Okay come on." Tyler said and pulled her away from Damon. Cassie walked outside to see Bonnie talking to Katherine. Katherine saw Cassie and shot her a devilish smile. Bonnie turned and saw Cassie glaring at Katherine. Bonnie then turned back to Katherine, said something and took off. Katherine walked over to Cassie. "I'm gonna go make sure Bonnie's okay." She said with a fake smile and took off inside. Cassie had to act normal. She pulled out her phone and texted Stefan. 'Kat's after Bonnie. Hurry up.' She totally forgot Tyler was next to her. She put her phone down and turned to Tyler. "I'm sorry you had to see that." She said apologetically. Tyler shrugged. "You had to do it, I get it. I'm just getting kinda sick of watching you get stressed out because of him." Tyler said and put a hand on her cheek. She immediately put her hand on top of his. "Okay no this day was supposed to consist of me being here for you not the other way around Lockwood." Cassie said with a smile and slipped her other hand into his.

Tyler smiled and out of nowhere he pulled her into him and crashed his lips onto hers, kissing her deeply. Cassie gasped in surprise, her lips moved of their own accord against his. He had one hand on her face and the other on the small of her back. She felt her body start to lean in to Tyler's. She rested her hands on his chest but she abruptly pulled away from him before she drowned completely into him. "Tyler." She said and opened her eyes. His were still closed, savoring the kiss. He slowly opened them and smiled. He grabbed her hand and pecked her on her lips. "You being here with me, is what's getting me through this." Tyler said and kissed the hand he was holding.