Chapter 27

Duke University

Elena and Cassie were going through some books while Vanessa brought in another box. "This box checks Katherine's arrival to Mystic Falls in April 1864." Vanessa stated as she placed the box next to Cassie. Cassie and Elena exchanged curious glances then opened the box. "Is that all there is about her?" Cassie asked Vanessa. "All that I'm aware of." Vanessa stated with an unfortunate tone. Cassie pulled vervain out of the box. Elena looked at Cassie as she handed Elena the vervain. Elena turned to see Damon was in the other room. She rolled her eyes and gave it to Vanessa. "Here, take this." Elena whispered as she handed it to her. "Does vervain really work?" Vanessa asked the girls. "Nope, not at all." Damon said from the other room. "Can he hear us?" Vanessa whispered, in a confused tone. Cassie was about to answer but Damon did it for her. "No, that would be creepy." He said in a sarcastic tone. "Can he read minds too?" Vanessa asked jokingly. "You know, if you want to see me naked, all you have to do is ask." Damon said with a sexy grin. "No, that he can't do." Cassie said and threw a paper ball at him. He dodged it and smirked at her. "He is very capable of being a first rate jackass." Elena added with a frown. Vanessa nodded and put the vervain in her pocket. Damon smiled at Cassie and Cassie rolled her eyes at him but she couldn't deny the smile that was creeping upon her face.

About 20 minutes went by of Cassie and Elena going through books. Damon walked over and stood behind Cassie. "Any luck?" He asked both girls. "Not really." Cassie said and slammed a book closed. "There's nothing in here about Katherine that we don't already know." Elena said frustrated. "Ah, man, you know, it's a bummer we're not friends anymore because I could tell you what I know." Damon said to Elena. "Now who's manipulating who?" Elena asked and crossed her arms. "Hey guys, check this out." Alaric called to them. Cassie, Damon and Elena walked to where Alaric and Vanessa were standing. "There's no record of werewolf mythology in Mystic Falls, but here are some records of some of the lesser-known legends. Everything from Scandinavian skin-walkers to the Maréchal de Retz." Vanessa said and she showed them a book with drawings. "Tonartsliitsii Metslii, which roughly translates into the 'curse of the sun and the moon'." She said as she pointed to the book. "It's Native American." Alaric said with a grimace. "Aztec. It explains one origin of the werewolf curse traced through Virginia. The short story: 600 years ago, the Aztecs were plagued by werewolves and vampires. They terrorized the countryside, made farming and hunting impossible until an Aztec shaman cursed them, making vampires slaves to the sun and werewolves servants of the moon. As a result, vampires could only prowl at night and werewolves could only turn on a full moon. When the full moon crests in the sky, who's ever unlucky enough to fall under the werewolf curse turns into a wolf." Vanessa explained the lore to them. "Can they control the transformation?" Damon asked Vanessa. "If it were a choice, it wouldn't be called a curse. Werewolves will attack humans but instinct and centuries of rivalry have hardwired them to hunt their prey of choice: vampires." Vanessa retorted. "Well, if werewolves were hunting vampires, I would know about it." Damon said snarkily. "Not if there aren't that many werewolves left alive. Hundreds of years ago, vampires hunted them almost to extinction." Vanessa explained to Damon. "Why would they do that?" Elena asked her. "To protect themselves." Cassie said in realization. Vanessa nodded. "Legend has it that a werewolf bite is fatal to vampires." She said with a unfortunate tone. Cassie, Alaric, Elena and Damon looked at each other concerned. "Oh..." Damon said with a 'oh crap' tone. "Well, looks like we'll have to keep Mason & Tyler under close watch." Cassie stated with a deep sigh.