Chapter 108

Cassie's Car

Cassie was driving as fast as she could to get there before Elijah did. She knew they wouldn't hesistate to try again to kill Elijah. She needed him alive. She needed answers still. Answers to questions she should've asked already but never got to even think about asking because she put Elena ahead of herself. Not this time. Elijah was her only key to who and what she was. She needed to save him. Her phone rang. The name on her ID caller gave her a feeling of hope. "Elijah". She answered with a smile. "Cassandra. I'm at the lake house and I'm calling to inform you that the deal is off." He said sternly. She was thoroughly taken back by his tone. "Elijah no please. I told you he was up to something. I told about my vision. You didn't listen to me." She was starting to worry she wasn't going to get there in time. She put the phone on speaker and drove faster. Elijah heard the engine of her car. "What are you doing?" He asked her. "I'm on my way to you now. Don't do anything Elijah please I beg you. She's my best friend and I need you Elijah. Please for me? Just wait." She pleaded to him. "You have 10 minutes." He replied and hung up. Now she had a time limit. She wouldn't make it in 10 minutes; 15 maybe if she was lucky. She drove faster than she ever swore she would. At this point she was rushing more for Elijah than Elena. She needed to start thinking about her future and herself right now. She didn't know if Elena would do anything stupid.

Gilbert Lake House
Elijah walked up to the house. He kneeled down and grabbed some rocks. Elena started to walk towards the front door, but Stefan grabbed her by the arm. Elijah stood back up outside and tossed the rocks from hand to hand. Stefan listened to him. "He's here." He whispered. Elijah threw the rocks at the door, breaking it off its hinges. Elena looked at Stefan with fear in her eyes. "You have to go. I need to talk to him alone." Elena told Stefan. "Elena..." Stefan protested. "Stefan, I'm okay. He can't come in the house." She reminded him. Elijah walked closer towards the house. "You know, I might not be able to enter this house...But I'm a very patient man. I'll wait you out." Elijah threatened.

Cassie pulled her car right behind Stefan's, shut her car off and ran to Elijah. "Elijah stop!" She yelled and ran to him. She jumped into his arms and he hugged her back. "Please let's just go. You don't need to do this." She said as she pulled out of the hug and grabbed Elijah's hands. Stefan heard Cassie. "Cassie's here." He said to Elena with a look of relief. "She's trying to get him to leave." Elena nodded then slowly walked out from behind the wall. Stefan stayed hidden there. She walked towards the front door but stayed inside the house. "Elijah!" Elena said trying to get his attention. "Elena stop. They shouldn't have done what they did." Cassie said to her. "I know Cassie. I'm trying to apologize for them." Elena said calmly as possible. "The deal is off." Elijah said firmly. Cassie's hand still entwined with his. "I want you to know Cassie had nothing to do with the plan." Elena stated and looked at Cassie. "I know Cassandra. She would never betray me. She's too honorable." He spoke of Cassie as if she wasn't even there. He wanted them all to realize how lucky they were to have her. He took a few steps from her till their hands dropped. "She also warned me ahead of time. Yet I still gave you all the benefit of the doubt. Hoping she was wrong. Hoping that the one person who risks her life for you and your 'friends' all the time was wrong. The one person Elena; who always puts you before herself. Who puts Stefan and Damon's safety before her own." Elijah continued to remind Elena how lucky they all were to have her. Stefan heard every word and knew how right he was. Elena too knew he was right. Cassie just stood there in awe of him and how much he was praising her. How he recognized how much she sacrificed for the three of them. "I hoped for your sake her vision of someone killing me was wrong. Sadly, she was right. Now here we are." Elijah finished and stood tall knowing Elena had nothing to argue with. "You're right. I don't deserve a friend like her. Cassie, I'm sorry I've been such a terrible friend." She said and looked at Cassie. Cassie just stared at her; she didn't believe her for some reason. Cassie walked over to Elijah and grabbed his hand again.

At that moment though, she was hit with another vision. This time Elena was in Elijah's arms and stabbing him with the dagger. That meant Damon got here before Cassie and gave Elena the dagger. Cassie tightened her grip on his hand. "Elijah." She said quietly. He looked at her questioningly. She just simply shook her head no. He saw the fear and anger in her eyes. "Please, I want to renegotiate." Elena pleaded. Elijah looked back at Elena. "You have nothing left to negotiate with." He reminded her. There was a moment's silence. Then, Elena pulled out a knife. Cassie's eyes went wide. "Elena no!" She yelled and tried to stop her but Elijah blocked her and looked amused. "I'd like to see you lure Klaus into Mystic Falls after the doppelgänger bleeds to death." Elena threatened. "Stefan won't let you die." Elijah said knowingly. "No, he won't. He'll feed me his blood to heal me, and then I'll kill myself and become a vampire, just like Katherine did." Elena continued on. Cassie tried again to push past Elijah but he was too strong. "Calm down." He whispered to her but she couldn't. Her best friend was going to try to kill herself or Elijah was going to be daggered again. She had to do something. "So unless you want that to happen again, promise me the same as before... Promise me... You won't harm anyone that I love. Even if they've harmed you." Elena demanded. Cassie couldn't believe the gall on Elena. They betrayed Elijah's trust and she was making demands. "I'm sorry, Elena. I'm going to have to call your bluff." Elijah said whilst still holding Cassie back. Cassie watched her best friend with terror in her eyes.

Elena let out a breath out and pointed the knife to her stomach. Elijah and Cassie watched her, unsure of what she was going to do. Elena looked up at Elijah then to Cassie and smiled. Cassie couldn't control her powers anymore. As Elena was about to stab herself in the stomach; Cassie's eyes lit up, she held her hands up and her powers struck Elena hands; knocking the knife out of her grasp. "Cassie?!" Elena yelled in surprise. Cassie's eyes were lit up bright blue and her hands were still out in front of her. "I'm not Cassandra. I am sorry Elena but I will not allow you to kill yourself after Cassandra continues to risk her life for you." A foreign voice that wasn't Cassie's announced from Cassie's form and took steps toward her. "Nor will I let you stab Elijah with the dagger Mr. Salvatore has provided you with the moment after he attempts to save your miserable life." Elijah's eyes moved from Cassie to Elena. Stefan and Damon both stepped out to see what was going on. "Who are you?" Elena asked confused. "Odette." Elijah spoke in shock and moved forward toward her. She slowly turned around and looked at Elijah. "Yes Elijah, I am here. Please do not believe these people." She said and pointed a finger at the lake house where Elena, Stefan and Damon stood. "You need to protect Cassandra. She is the key to killing your brother. Do not fail her. She needs to be protected. Protect her Elijah. Protect her." Odette spoke and within a flash; the blue light faded from her eyes as Cassie's form fell to the ground. Elijah caught her just before she hit the ground and rushed off with her in his arms before the others could stop him.

Elena, Stefan and Damon all stood there in shock and confusion. "What the hell just happened?" Damon asked and looked at the other two. "I have no idea." Elena answered just as confused.