Chapter 71

Lockwood Mansion

Back upstairs, Damon was pouring himself a glass of scotch. "We're missing the party." Katherine whined. Cassie glared at her. "We wouldn't be if you hadn't of killed Aimee." Cassie snapped at her. Katherine rolled her eyes and then saw Damon. "I'll have one of those." She said about the glass of scotch. "Right away Miss Katherine." Damon said in a servant boy tone. He handed her the glass. "Thank you." She said and took the glass. She began to drink when suddenly, Damon grabbed her and pushed her against the wall. He tried to stake her. "No, no! Damon, don't!" Cassie yelled as Stefan held Damon back. "Yes, Damon, please." Katherine taunted him. "The second the spell is lifted, I'm gonna drive a stake right through your heart." Damon whispered to her. "God, you're hot. When did you get so hot?" Katherine said and stroked his tie. Cassie pulled Damon back and stood between them. "If he's that hot, maybe you shouldn't have strung him along for over 150 years.

Lucy appeared in the doorway with the moonstone in hand. "Katherine, the spell on this room has been broken, you're free to leave." Lucy told her from the entrance. "Thank God." Katherine said and sauntered over to Lucy. She went to reach for the stone but Lucy pulled back. "When I hand this over my debt to you is over." Lucy said and pulled the stone closer to her. "Done." Katherine said reaching again. "I owe you nothing." Lucy solidified her demand. "I said done. Give it." Katherine spat impatiently. "I wouldn't do that." Damon said to Lucy but as soon as Katherine touched the stone she was unable to breathe. "You should have told me another witch was involved. She's a Bennett witch, Katherine, but I'm sure you knew that." Lucy said angrily to Katherine who was staggering in place. "Wait, Elena!" Stefan yelled to her in fear. "Elena's fine." Lucy answered with assurity. Katherine then fell to the floor due to loss of air. "The spell is broken. She'll heal quickly, Bonnie's with her." Lucy explained about Elena while Katherine is suffocating on the ground. "I apologize for my involvement." Lucy said and looked at Cassie. "Thank you." Cassie said to her with a nod. Lucy nodded in return and left. Katherine suddenly becomes unconscious on the floor. "Well let's get her out of here and fast." Cassie said to the boys about Katherine. They both nodded in agreement and lifted her up off the floor.

Downstairs, Caroline and Carol were talking about what happened to Sarah. "Matt and I were fighting, we broke up you know, and Sarah was drunk and dancing and she just tripped. And then she wasn't breathing." Caroline lied to her. "Okay, your mom's on her way and we called Sarah's parents. It was an accident. It was a terrible, tragic accident." Carol said as she nodded nervously. "Mom, the sheriff's here." Tyler said as he walked into the office. "I'll go prepare her, just don't leave. Just stay here okay? She's going to want to hear the story from you." Carol said and left the room. "Matt's in the car, sleeping it off. I'll deal with him; I don't want him involved in any of this." Caroline explained to Tyler. "What are you doing?" Tyler asked confused. "I'm fixing a very bad situation." Caroline told him. "Why? I did this. I killed her." Tyler said still not understanding "No, you didn't mean to and I think it's best for everyone..." Caroline was saying until Tyler cut her off. "But she's dead! You don't know what that means." Tyler said, his guilt overwhelming him. "Actually, Tyler, I think I do." Caroline said with empathy. "No, you don't, Caroline." Tyler said with assurity. "Has your wound healed?" Caroline asked him as she eyed his chest where Sarah stabbed him. He checked his wound and realized it had healed. "How did you...?" Tyler asked with confusion.

Outside, Stefan joined Elena who was standing by the lake. "Elena." He called her attention as he approached her. "I'm okay, I'm okay. Bonnie took away the pain and I think I'm healing." Elena explained to him with a small smile. "I know but I think you should definitely see a doctor anyway." Stefan said with concern. "I will. I heard about Katherine, is it true? Is she really gone?" Elena asked with hope in her voice. "Yeah, I was so worried about you." Stefan said and moved toward her but she pushed away from him. "Stefan... I..." She began but Stefan cut her off. "Katherine being gone doesn't change anything for you, does it?" Stefan asked with sadness in his voice. He already knew her answer. "I want to be with you, Stefan. You know that but first, I need to wake up and know that the people that I love are safe. I need to feel safe. Do you understand?" Elena asked him. "Yeah. Yeah, I... I understand." Stefan said as he choked back tears. Elena looked past him and saw Cassie waiting for her. "I'm gonna go home with Cassie." She said and walked past him to leave. Stefan turned and watched the girls walk away.

Fell's Church Ruins

Katherine woke up in the tomb. The moonstone was on the floor next to her. She picked it up, stood and tried to leave but she was trapped. Damon then appeared at the entrance. "Hello Katherine." He greeted her. "Where am I?" She asked with fear in her voice. "Where you should have been all along. I thought you'd have learned your lesson by now, messing with a Bennett witch." Damon warned her. "You should have killed me." Katherine told him as tears began to well up in her eyes. "Death would have been too kind." Damon shot back at her then he started to close the tomb door. "No, Damon, don't. Damon, don't. You need me, Elena's in danger." Katherine said quickly; hoping he wouldn't close the door. "From who?" Damon asked curiously. Katherine didn't answer. "You're lying, you're always lying." Damon said to her with distain. "Why do you think I haven't killed her? Because she's the doppelgänger. She needs to be protected." Katherine explained; desperation prominent in her voice. "Then I'll protect her, while you rot in hell." Damon said and closed the tomb door, locking Katherine inside. "No, Damon, don't! I'll do anything, please. Damon! You need me! Damon! You need me! You need me!" She continued to scream and pound against the door of rock. She cried and hit the door very hard. When nothing happened she dropped to the ground in terror.

Lockwood Mansion

Cassie and Elena were in the parking lot. "You feeling okay?" Cassie asked her with concern. "Yeah I'm okay. I just can't wait to go home and sleep." Elena said with a chuckle. "Amen to that!" Cassie said and wrapped an arm around Elena's shoulder. Suddenly, A masked man came up behind them, covered Elena and Cassie's mouth's with each hand. His hands held handkerchief's that had chloroform soaked on them. The girls were knocked out in seconds. The kidnapper dragged a girl in each arm to his car and put them in the trunk of his SUV.