Chapter 61

Salvatore Boarding House

Damon and Cassie waited about twenty minutes before waking up Mason. "Come on. Wake up, wolf boy." He said then punched him in the face. Cassie winced in remorse for Mason and moved away from the men before her. Damon pulls the fire poker out of the iron set of fireplace utensils and began heating it up in the fireplace. Mason struggled to get out of the chair. Cassie turned away from him as Damon looked at him. "Someone's feisty." Damon said with a dangerous gleam in his eye. Damon stood up. Mason continued to struggle and thrusted the chair backwards, falling onto the floor. Damon walked over to him. "What?!" mason screamed at Damon. He was scared but kept a brave face. Cassie could see the fear in his eyes. Damon stuck the iron poker into Mason's chest. Mason screamed in agony. Cassie had to turn away from the scene before her. "You can hurt; good to know. I was afraid you were gonna be some beast mass with no affinity for pain." Damon said, then pulled Mason's shirt collar down and looked at his wound which was almost healed. "Oh, but you heal quickly. Not good. Guess I'll just have to keep applying pain."Damon said then grabbed Mason and pulled him back up with the chair. He walked back over to the fireplace and heated up the poker again. "So...Katherine. How do you know her? What is she up to?" Damon asked with a smirk; knowing he had the upper hand.

Mason spat on the floor and said nothing. "I have all day." Damon said with a shrug. Damon walked over to Mason again and thrusted the white hot iron poker into Mason's stomach. Mason grit his teeth and screamed again. Cassie remained silent and stood by the window. Damon was the man she loved and she knew what they were doing is what needed to be done but knowing this was Tyler's uncle was killing her.Damon turned and saw the fear and sympathy in Cassie's eyes. "Cassie." Damon said quietly. She looked at him with a sad expression. "You don't have to be here if you don't want to." Damon told her sympathetically. "He tried to have us all killed; I'm not going anywhere." Cassie said and tried to put on a brave face. She shook off the guilt and walked over to Mason. "So Mason, when did you and the bitch meet? Did she seduce you, tell you she loved you? You're supernatural so it's not like she can compel you. I'm sure she used her other slutty charms. From what I've heard, Kitty Kat's good that way." Cassie said with venom in her words and a smirk plastered on her face.

Jeremy walked in the room carrying a box which he then set down on a table near Damon. "I thought I told you to leave." Damon said to him harshly. "I found something in Ric's box of stuff." Jeremy said matter of factly. "Ooh. What is it?" Cassie asked and walked over to Jeremy with Damon behind her. Jeremy pulled out a plant. "I did a search on my phone. It's a plant. Aconitum Vulparia. It grows in the mountainous areas of the northern hemisphere. Commonly known as aconite, blue rocket, and Wolfsbane." Jeremy informed them. Cassie looked over at mason and saw a twinge of dread in his eyes. Damon opened the cloth and looked at the Wolfsbane. "What else did you read?" Cassie asked Jeremy. "Well, every source says something different. One myth says it causes lycanthropy, which sounds bogus. Another one says that it protects people and another one says, well, it's toxic." Jeremy said and showed them his phone. Mason groaned. Damon looked over at him. "I'm guessing toxic." He said with a smirk. He took the plant and went toward Mason. "What's Katherine doing in Mystic Falls?" Damon asked Mason. Mason didn't answer. Damon brushed the end of the Wolfsbane across Mason's cheek. It began to burn and Mason screamed. Jeremy and Cassie both were uncomfortable with this method of torture. Damon pulled the Wolfsbane away. "Why is she here?" Damon asked growing impatient. "She's here with me. Why do you ask, you jealous?" Mason said with pride. "How rude of me. You know, I just realized, I didn't offer you anything to eat." Damon said and shoved the Wolfsbane into Mason's mouth. Mason grunted and groaned in pain. "Yummy!" Damon stopped. Mason spit up the Wolfsbane and coughed. Cassie winced again at the sight before her. Jeremy grabbed her hand to comfort her. She smiled at him in gratitude.