Chapter 84

Slater's Residence
Cassie is gazing out a window contemplating what to do in case the vampires come before Damon.. Suddenly, she sees Elijah's reflection walking towards her in the window. Cassie gasps and turns around but she sees no one else in the room with her. Confused, she turns back and looks at the window and back into the room again. Elena walks into the main room, sipping on a glass of water, looks over at Alice, then turns around and gasps because Damon has snuck up behind her. "What are you doing here?" He asks angrily. "What are you doing here?" Elena shoots back at him. Rose enters the room. Elena turns around and looks at her angrily. "You called him?" Elena asks feeling betrayed. "I told her to." Cassie says as she walks in and moves next to Damon. "I'm sorry, Elena." Rose says sincerely. "I'm not." Cassie says with no remorse. "You said that you understood." Elena says to Rose. "She lied." Damon says quickly. Elena turns around and looks at Damon with anger. Alice walks up to them and is starstruck seeing Damon. "Damon Salvatore!" She says excitedly. "Get rid of her." Damon says to Rose. "No... Way!" Alice says like a fangirl. Rose grabs Alice's arm and leads her out of the room. "Come on. We're leaving." Damon says and tries to pull Elena. "No." She says and pulls out of his grasp. "Elena stop." Cassie says trying to talk her down. "I said we're leaving." Damon says and grabs her again. "I'm not going with you." Elena says taking control of the situation. "You do not get to make decisions anymore." Cassie says impatiently. "When have I ever made a decision Cassie? You, Damon and Stefan do that for me. Now this, this is my decision." Elena says with hostility. "Who's gonna save your life while you're out making decisions?" Damon shoots back even more angrily. "You're not listening to me, Damon. I don't want to be saved. Not if it means that Klaus is gonna kill every single person that I love." Elena says trying to make him understand."Get your ass out the door before I throw you over my shoulder and carry you out myself." Damon says then grasps her arm tightly. Elena struggles and releases herself from his grip. "No!" Elena throws a punch at Damon. "Elena stop!" Cassie yells thinking she's gonna hit him but Damon clutches her fist in his hand and moves in towards her. Elena gasps in shock. "Don't ever do that again." He says quietly, releases her fist from his grasp and walks away. Cassie and Elena stand there, horrified at what just happened. Cassie shakes her head at Elena and follows Damon.
After a few minutes Damon opens a set of double doors and exits the bedroom... Cassie, Elena and Rose look at him from their seats in the living area. "Time to go. Alice is soundly sleeping and won't remember a moment of this horribly stupid day." Damon says anxiously and suddenly, the front doors burst open and three men walk into the apartment. Damon turns his head to look at them as Cassie, Rose and Elena stand up. "We're here to meet the doppelgänger." Cody says to them. "Thank you for coming." Elena says and attempts to walk towards them, but Cassie grabs her hand and Damon pushes her back. "I will break your arm." Damon whispers to Elena. Cassie moves next to Damon. "There's nothing here for you." Cassie says to them. "Odette?" Cody asks as he sees Cassie. Damon looks at Cody then to Cassie with confusion. The man in the back suddenly drops to the floor, dead with Elijah standing behind him. The other two vampires look back at Elijah. Elijah vamp-speeds towards them, looking from one to the other. Rose gasps and vamp-speeds out of the apartment. Elijah looks over at Cassie, Elena and Damon. "Elijah." Cassie whispered in shock. She wasn't imagining things. She saw him in the window and now he was here. He was alive. Damon has a surprised glare on his face. "I killed you. You were dead." He says with anger. "For centuries now." Elijah answered snarkily. "Who are you?" Elijah asks Cody. "Who are you?" Cody asks Elijah. "I'm Elijah." He says simply. "We were gonna bring her to you. For Klaus. She's the doppelgänger. I don't know how she exists, but she does. Klaus will want to see her. As for the other one, she's Odette. She has to be. The stories are true." Cody says quickly in hopes of not being killed. "Does anyone else know that you're here?" Elijah asks and his eyes wander back to Cassie for a moment. Their eyes meet. Cassie has that feeling again. Like she's known him forever. Now maybe her questions can be answered. This man she saw in her dream who loved her, he was the key to her past life or to know where she came from. "No." Cody answers. "Well, then, you have been incredibly helpful." Elijah says with a smile and then plunges his arm's into the two vampires' chests. Cassie and Elena both gasp. They grunt as Elijah rips their hearts out. The two vampires fall to the floor, dead, and Elijah lets their hearts drop from his hands. Cassie meets his eyes again. He can see she's scared of him but not to a point of no return. Damon prepares to fight with Elijah, but Elijah shocks them, by turning around and vamp-speeding out of the apartment. Damon looks at Cassie then back at Elena, all three of them with shocked expressions on their faces.