Chapter 49

Public Park
Mason was at the lemonade stand taking a cup of lemonade from a little girl when Cassie approached him. "Thank you." Mason said to the girl as Cassie blocked his path. "Hey, Mason. Working hard?" Cassie asked fakely. Mason took a sip of his lemonade."Doing my part." he said with a smile. "I heard what you said to the Sheriff." Cassie told him with a fake smile. "Oh yeah?" He asked with a serious tone. "Yeah. And you should believe Stefan." Cassie told him. "Nice guy." Mason commented. "Yeah, a lot nicer than me." Damon commented as he walked up to them. "Nice is overrated." Mason said to them. "That's what I thought. Huh!" Damon said sarcastically. "You two have a good day." Mason said and walked away as Stefan walked up to the pair. "Please tell me that you guys were just bonding." Stefan said in an annoyed tone. "So what's up this faux drama in your relationship?" Damon said trying to change the subject. "What are you talking about?" Stefan and Cassie both asked at the same time. They looked at each other with weirded expressions. "Oh come on, Stefan. You and Elena don't fight, especially not over me." Damon said to him knowingly. Cassie turned to Stefan with her mouth a gape. She was thoroughly confused. "Drop it, Damon." Stefan told him. "With pleasure." Damon said with a fake smile.
Damon turned and saw the little lemonade stand. "Would you like some lemonade?" The little girl asked from the stand. Damon turned and took the cup from the girl. "Thank you, sweetie." He said to her with a charming smile. Cassie saw a side to him right then that was so adorable. "Damon, you're a big softy." Cassie commented with a smirk. Stefan also smirked at her statement. Damon rolled his eyes at the two of them, took a drink of his lemonade but spat it out and started coughing. "Shit!" Cassie said quickly, knowing what just happened. Cassie looked up and saw Liz was watching him from afar. "What's wrong?" Stefan asked confused. "Vervain! Vervain!" Damon said through painful gasps. "Liz is watching us. This has Mason written all over it." Cassie said angrily. Cassie handed Damon a bottle of water. He furiously rinsed his mouth out with it, and spat it out. "I'm gonna kill him." Damon said and tried to walk away but Stefan stopped him. "Listen to me! Sit! Sit!" Stefan said and pushed Damon back into his chair. "I'm not listening anymore of your "give peace a chance" crap. He's dead!" Damon said angrily. "Damon quiet down." Cassie warned him. "Okay. I don't like it. He's making threats. He could expose us. We need to put him down." Stefan agreed with Damon. "Alright. Let's do it." Damon said and stood up. Damon turned and saw Mason going into the woods. "Woods. Trash duty. Come on." Damon said to Stefan. "I'm coming with you." Cassie said to them. "No, you're not." Stefan said as if he were her big brother. "Stefan, I have powers that are activated when my loved ones are in trouble. That means you two. I'm coming." Cassie told him. "She's right. We may need her." Damon told him. Stefan rolled his eyes and nodded.