Chapter 99

Cassie remembered The Historical Society's Tea Party was today. She promised her mom she would attend in her place in case she couldn't make it. As it turned out her mom was booked with back to back surgeries so she had to go. She went home and started to get ready. She gave herself loose curls then picked her prettiest black dress, her reddest lipstick, strappiest heels and was out the door.

Lockwood Mansion

Cassie walked in and saw Elijah and Carol speaking as they sipped their tea. Cassie knew she had to go see Mrs. Lockwood first before going off to mingle. As she made her way toward them, Elijah made eye contact and stared at her in awe. Cassie blushed at his stare and pushed a piece of hair behind her ear as she got closer. "Excuse me, Hi Mrs. Lockwood." Cassie said with a small smile. "Cassie, honey!" Carol said and hugged her. Carol and her mom were good friends so she loved Cassie like one of her own. "Mom asked me to come in her place; she's got two back to back surgeries today." Cassie informed her with a smile.  "Well she's saving lives so can't get mad at her for that, can we?" Carol asked with a small chuckle. Elijah remained silent. "Oh how rude of me; Elijah, this is Cassandra Mihelia.. Her mother is our town's head surgeon." Carol said as she gestured to Cassie. "Yes, actually we met the other night at Jenna Sommers' home. " Elijah said with a smile. "Yes we did."  Cassie said playing along. "You look lovely Cassandra." He said then picked up Cassie's hand and kissed it. "Thank you Elijah." Cassie said and blushed.

During this exchange; two blue eyes were watching the whole thing and sparked full of jealousy. Damon walked right up to the three of them. "Damon." Carol said acknowledging his presence. "Carol." Damon  replied with a fake smile. He ignored Cassie and Elijah. "What a surprise." Carol said in disbelief as they exchange kisses on the cheek. Cassie kept her eyes on Elijah to avoid eye contact with Damon. Elijah saw how uncomfortable she was. "Elijah, I want you to meet Damon Salvatore. His family is one of Mystic Falls' founding families." Carol gestured to Damon. Cassie watched Elijah straighten up. "Mm-hm. Such a pleasure to meet you." Damon said and put out his hand to shake. Elijah shook his hand and replied. "No. Pleasure's mine." Cassie could see how fake Damon was being and Elijah was merely playing along. "Cassie." Damon said as he looked at her. "Damon." Cassie said with a fake smile. Elijah saw her smile drop instantly.  "I'm gonna get a drink, please excuse me." Cassie said and walked away.

Damon excused himself and walked over to the bar where Cassie was. "Cassandra." he said from behind her. "What do you want Damon?" Cassie asked and refused to make eye contact. "What are you doing here? You hate town events." Damon said as he moved next to her and leaned on the bar. "I'm here on behalf of my mother; not that its any of your business." Cassie said still keeping her eyes anywhere but on Damon. "Okay but what are you doing with him?" Damon pressed her. "With who?" Cassie asked not understanding who he was asking about since she came by herself. "With Elijah, Cas. What are you doing with Elijah" He said with an slightly agitated tone. Cassie was now losing her patience with him. "Excuse me?" She asked and finally looked at him. He could see she was getting angry. "You and Elijah? What is going on between you two?" Damon asked and took a step closer to her. "How dare you? You destroy our relationship over and over but still think you have the right to ask me about my personal life or my new relationships?" She asked a taken back by his gall. "Relationship? So you two are together!" He says loud enough for some of the party to hear. They both realize people are watching. Cassie takes a deep breath in and lowers her voice. "That's none of your business!" She yelled through a whisper. "You lost the right to ask me such questions when I caught you in the bathtub with her." Cassie said aloud and pointed at Andie Starr. The guests were now silent and were watching intently. Cassie let out a sigh of frustration. "I'm done with this on again, off again thing you've created between us. Just leave me and Elijah alone." She began to walk away as the crowd watched her. She turned back around. "You need to back off him. I'm warning you, whatever you're planning to do to him; don't." She said with a warning look. "So you trust him?" Damon asked as she started to walk away. The crowd was still watching the scene before them while pretending to mingle. "I trust him to keep his word; which is a lot more than I can say for you." She said then walked out the front door. Damon just stood there with the crowd staring at him; half the people wondering what the hell just happened the rest scolding him for what they heard he did to Cassie. Jenna was one of the scolding faces and Andie looked mildly embarrassed when she realizes she just became 'the other woman'.

Cassie was standing in the front yard with her drink in hand just trying to regain composure when she felt an arm brush against her lower back. "Are you alright?" Elijah asked and looked her in the eyes. "I will be. Right now I just wish he'd stay away from me. That was humiliating." Cassie said with tears welling up in her eyes. "I also don't want him to hurt you. I know how he is when he thinks he's doing the right thing." Cassie explained to Elijah. He chuckled at her and pushed a piece of stray hair behind her ear. "Thank you for caring so much but I assure you, he cannot harm me." Elijah said confidently. "What do you mean?" Cassie asked confused. "If your vision is accurate and he is planning something then I will just have to be vigilant." He said with a smile. "Promise me you'll be careful." Cassie asked him and grabbed his hand in hers. "I promise." He said and kissed the hand he was holding. Cassie stood on her toes and kissed him. Elijah responded by putting his hand in her hair and resting his forehead on hers after they broke apart.