Chapter 38

Salvatore Boarding House

Back at the boarding house, Stefan was still interrogating Katherine. Hoping she'd admit what she was really doing in Mystic Falls. "What did George get in return? For giving you your freedom." Stefan asked her. "Something he wanted desperately." She replied curtly. "So you sent 26 of your friends to their death, just to fake your own? No, you were running from something. What was it?" Stefan pried again. He wanted answers. "Everyone has a past, Stefan. Mine needed to stay far, far away but thanks to you my plan nearly failed before it even began. Once George told me that the round up was imminent, I made sure I could see you one last time, but your father used your love for me against you, he poisoned your blood. Then Damon being Damon, nearly ruined everything." She explained about that tragic night that Damon and Stefan we're shot trying to save her. "We came for you, we tried to save you." Stefan told her; anger rising in his voice. "I didn't want to be saved." She said with venom in her tone. "So then Damon and I died for nothing! For nothing!" Stefan yelled in her face. "No, Stefan, you died for love!" She yelled back at him.

Gilbert Residence

Meanwhile at the BBQ, Damon and Cassie were talking in the kitchen when Mason came in. "Hey, Jenna just brought out 'Guitar Hero'. Might be time to mutiny!" He said with a smile. "Well, I just happen to like 'Guitar Hero'. So you, my friend, are barking up the wrong tree." Damon shot back playfully. Cassie rolled her eyes at his dog pun. They we're beginning to get annoying. "Okay. Enough with the innuendos, you win, you're hilarious." Mason said with his smile faltering. Cassie could see Damon struck a nerve. "Thank you." Damon said with pride. "Come on, man. You don't think I know what this barbecue is about?" Mason asked him. Cassie realized Mason knew the entire thing was a set up. "How do you know about me? Your brother was completely clueless." Damon told him. "It doesn't matter; I'm not your enemy, Damon." Mason said genuinely. "You tried to kill Stefan." Cassie said with a sneer. "That was a mistake." Mason said trying to excuse himself. "Really?" Cassie asked and crossed her arms over her chest. "There was confusion; I couldn't chain myself up in time. I have no control once I shift." Mason explained himself. "What, no obedience school?" Damon asked sarcastically. "Damon stop." Cassie said and elbowed him. "I'm serious. Let's not spark some age-old feud that doesn't apply to us." Mason said trying to keep the peace between them. "You expect me to believe that you are in Mystic Falls planting peach trees?" Damon asked him skeptically. "I lost my brother, my nephew lost his father. I'm here for my family. Let's be above this." Mason said and put out his hand. Damon looked at Cassie for her vote. She looked at Mason, then looked up at Damon and nodded to him. Damon shook his hand and Mason left the room.

After he left, Damon took out the knife from the cutlery box and hid it. Cassie's eyes widened when she saw him do this. "No Damon don't." She said and put her hands on his chest to stop him. "Move Cassie." He said with a dangerous glint in his eyes. "Damon, you cannot keep doing things like this. You're going to get yourself and Stefan killed. Not to mention Caroline." Cassie said to him. "Cassie he needs to be put down. He is a threat to us." Damon said to her. "Damon, you're overreacting. He just told you he wants peace. You're going to riun everything if you do this." Cassie informed him. Damon looked into her eyes. "I already did ruin everything. What else do I have to lose?" He asked with sadness in his eyes. He didn't wait for her response and pushed past her.