Chapter 25

Alaric's Car

Cassie, Damon, Elena and Alaric were in the car, on the way to Duke. No one had really said anything to each other. The tension was thick between Damon and Elena which Cassie and Alaric felt; so it was an uncomfortable environment. Cassie had one earbud in and stared out her window. Damon turned and looked at Elena. "How are you doing back there girls?" He asked. Neither answered due to the fact that it was more directed to Elena and Cassie knew it. "You know, this whole pretending to hate me thing is getting a little silly." Damon said nonchalantly to Elena. She ignored him again. "I don't think she's pretending. You did kill her brother." Alaric stated in defense of Elena. "Yeah, Damon not gonna lie that was fucked up." Cassie said bluntly. "There is a huge asterisk next to that statement: he came back to life." Damon said trying to excuse his actions. "Yeah, thanks to a ring that you didn't know he was wearing." Elena shot back at him. "Why are you so sure I didn't know?" Damon asked her with narrowed eyes. "Did you?" Elena asked him simply. "Yes." Damon lied. "You're lying." Elena said with a glare. She knew he was lying. Cassie knew as well. She could tell by now when he was being truthful. "Elena, I saw the ring! It's a big tacky thing. Hard to miss." Damon said with snark. Alaric looked down at his own ring. "Why don't we give the 'Damon killed Jeremy' talk a rest? We're gonna be stuck with each other all day; no point in fighting now." Cassie said to both of them. They silently nodded. Elena glared at Damon then looked out her window. Cassie put her headphones in and rested her head against her window. She was wondering if coming on this trip was the right idea.

Forbes Residence

Bonnie, Caroline and Stefan were in Caroline's bedroom discussing Caroline's daylight ring. Bonnie had Emily's grimoire in her hands while Caroline held the daylight ring in her hands. "So, I don't get to choose the ring I have to wear the rest of my life?" Caroline asked snottily. "Hey, if you don't want it..." Bonnie started to say but Stefan cut her off. "No, no, she wants it." He said with a fake smile. "Now what?" Caroline asked Bonnie. "Now is the part where I explain the rules. The witch who spells the ring has the power to de-spell it so if you ever do anything to hurt anyone..." Bonnie was explaining but Caroline now cut her off. "I'm not gonna hurt anyone." Caroline said with confidence. "You are a vampire that mean the urge to kill is a part of who you are. The minute you let it take over, I will stop you." Bonnie threatened her. "Bonnie, you're supposed to be my friend." Caroline replied with distain. "I can't ignore what happened, okay? If you want to be friends, you have to prove that the Caroline I remember isn't gone. Now put the ring on the bed." Bonnie instructed her. Caroline hesitantly put the ring on the bed. "Do you really think I meant to kill that guy at the carnival?" Caroline asked Bonnie. "He's still dead. Now, do you want me to cast the spell or not?" Bonnie asked Caroline with attitude. Bonnie opened a little bit the curtain to let the sun shine on the ring. Bonnie looked at the ring and closed her eyes for a moment and finally opened them. "All done." She said and gave the ring to Caroline. Caroline took the ring and put it on her finger. "So that's it? I mean nothing witchy happened. You know, no flickering lights, no gust of wind. Have you even done this before?" Caroline asked in a bitchy tone. "Caroline..." Stefan warned her. "What? I just want to make sure that it worked." Caroline said innocently. Bonnie quickly opened the curtain letting all the sunlight hit Caroline. Caroline covered herself in a panic. "It worked." Bonnie said with confidence. "What if it hadn't Bonnie?!" Caroline raised her voice at her. Appalled that Bonnie risked her safety. Bonnie looked at Stefan. "She's all yours." Bonnie whispered to Stefan, grabbed her grimoire and left.