Chapter 16

Salvatore Boarding House

Damon was pouring a blood bag in a glass as Stefan and Cassie walked through the front door. "Hello you two. Care for one?" Damon asked Stefan. "No, thank you. I'm not hungry, just ate." Stefan told him. "Aren't you worried that one day, all the forest animals are gonna band together and fight back? I mean, surely they talk." Damon said with sarcasm. Cassie rolled her eyes at him. "Well, I for one am just happy that's a blood bag and not a drunken, slutty sorority girl supplying your dinner." Cassie spat at him with a smirk. Stefan bit his bottom lip to suppress his smile. "I like this new you, Cassie. You're more feisty that usual. And you brother; walking on eggs shells around me because you think I'm gonna explode. Very suspenseful. Is Elena worried too? I bet I'm your every conversation." Damon said with his devilish smirk. "Have you heard from Queen Katherine?" Cassie asked snarkily as she crossed her arms over her chest. "I think the Lockwood's have a family secret because the Gilbert device affected them but vervain didn't so they're not vampires, they're something else." Damon explained. "Deflecting. Not obvious at all." Stefan said with a smirk. "Is this your new obsession or is it because you're jealous of me and Tyler?" Cassie asked curiously with a smirk. Stefan noticed Damon stiffen at that statement.

He quickly recovered and shrugged it off. "You'd rather some unknown supernatural element running rampant upon our town. Fine, I'll drop it." Damon said and began to walk away. "We haven't seen the last of Katherine, you do know that right? We have no idea what she's up to." Cassie told him which made him turn around. "Sure we do. She came back to profess her undying eternal love for Stefan; so I'm gonna let you deal with her because I have more important things to do like explode. Cheers!" Damon said to them and left the room. Cassie threw her head backwards and let out a frustrated sigh. Stefan put a hand on her back and rubbed circles to calm her down. "He's such an ass." Cassie said to him. Stefan nodded. "Yeah but we all care about him, unfortunately." Stefan said with a shrug. "Yeah. I gotta get back to school and help Elena." Cassie said and walked out the door.

Mystic Falls High School

The carnival was underway. Elena was talking and setting up with Bonnie. "The ring toss is out of Bart and Homer dolls and Team Jacob T's." Bonnie informed her. "Okay, I can grab some from the science club. Also we lost a speaker in the karaoke room." Elena told her. "Hey, all good Elena, take a beat, look around. This is a huge success." Bonnie praised her efforts. Cassie walked up behind the girls and put her arms around each of their shoulders. "You mean she can do more than just freak vampire havoc?" Cassie asked jokingly. "Go figure." Bonnie said sarcastically. They laughed then Elena looked at a man who was repairing one of the stands. "Hey, Carter, right? You're with the carnival." Elena said to him with a smile. "That'll be me." He said as he turned to her. "Okay, great." Elena said and was about to speak when Carter's eyes landed on Bonnie. "Wow, what do you need beautiful?" He asked Bonnie. Cassie and Elena exchanged amused glances. Bonnie blushed and let out a nervous giggle. Cassie bit her lip to stop herself from laughing. "What do you know about karaoke speakers?" Bonnie asked, trying to sound sexy. "Why don't you show me the problem?" Carter said to her with a flirty smile. "Yeah Bonnie, show him the problem." Cassie said encouragingly with her eyes. "Okay, come on." Bonnie said and then they walked away. Cassie and Elena smiled. "So back to work?" Cassie asked Elena. "Yes! Then we can have fun." Elena said and the girls turned and went back to setting up.