Chapter 62

Salvatore Boarding House

Cassie and Damon were losing their patience with Mason. "Mason, Why do you want the moonstone?" Cassie asked quietly; hoping if she asked calmly he would talk. "Screw you!" Mason shouted at her. "Ahhh! Wrong answer!" Damon said as he made a game buzzer sound. "If he was gonna say anything, he would have already!" Jeremy yelled at them. "I'm taking your eyes now." Damon threatened him. "The well! You can find it there." Mason finally cracked. Damon threateningly held the Wolfsbane up to Mason. "I know where it is. I want to know what it does and why you want it." Damon said with a crazy look in his eye. "I'm getting it for Katherine." He admitted. "Why?" Cassie asked confused. "She's gonna use it to lift the curse." Mason told Cassie. "Of the moon?" Cassie asked; still confused. "Now, why would a vampire help a werewolf break a curse that keeps them from turning whenever they want?" Damon asked as he paced in front of Mason. "So I wouldn't have to turn anymore." Mason said in despair. "Why?" Cassie asked him again. This wasn't making sense to Cassie or Damon. Katherine never did anything for anyone. "Because she loves me." Mason said with a look of gratefulness. Cassie saw how much he believed that she loved him. He was grateful that Katherine loved him. Damon began laughing at Mason. Cassie turned to him with a questioning look. "Now I get it. You're just stupid." Damon spat at him with a chuckle. Cassie felt bad for Mason because she knew what Damon meant. "Katherine doesn't love you. She's using you, you moron." Damon said trying to wake him up. "I'm done talking." Mason said and completely shut down. "Yes, you are." Damon said and then handed Jeremy the Wolfsbane. Jeremy grabbed it and grit his teeth; knowing what was coming next. "It's time to take a walk, Jeremy." Cassie said to him and walked over to him. She put a hand on his shoulder to try to move him toward the door. "I'm staying." Jeremy said firmly and pushed Cassie's hand off of him. "No, you should go." Damon replied with agitation. "I'm staying, Damon. He's had enough." Jeremy said trying to talk Damon out of killing Mason. Mason looked at Cassie. "Cassie, Just help Tyler. Don't let this happen to him." Mason begged her. She nodded in response. "Damon..." Cassie said slowly starting to agree with Jeremy. Damon vampsped over to Jeremy and grabbed him by the throat. "Damon stop!" Cassie yelled and ran to pull him off Jeremy. "You wanted to be a part of this? Well, here it is! Kill or be killed! The guy is a werewolf; he'd kill me the first chance he got! So, you suck it up or leave." Damon said with that crazed look in his eyes and let go of Jeremy. Jeremy coughed. "He wants me to kill him, anyway. Don't you, Mason? It really is a curse, isn't it?" Damon asked Mason with a sick smirk. Cassie looked to Jeremy who angrily stomped out of the room. "You know, I look at you I see myself. A less dashing, less intelligent version." Damon explained to mason with a condescending tone. Cassie just stood silent; wishing she was anywhere but there. "I love her!" Mason shouted with desperation. Cassie's heart broke for Mason at that moment. He had no idea Katherine was playing him for a fool. "Oh, I know! I've been where you are. But Katherine will only rip your heart out. Let me do it for her." Damon said dangerously and thrusted his hand into Mason's chest while he stared into his eyes. Cassie gasped in shock. Mason groaned in agony. Damon removed his heart from his chest. Cassie shuddered at the sight of Mason's heart in Damon's hand. She started to cry as she saw Mason's eyes go lifeless and his head fall down to his chest. She looked at Damon with fear in her eyes and sadness on her face. Damon dropped the heart on the floor and turned to see her face. His heart broke when he saw her expression. How was she going to love him after that?

Cassie didn't say a word to Damon and ran upstairs so she could wrap her head around what just happened. She was ashamed of herself for being apart of Mason's death. She thought she could handle it. She knew she had to get over it. Mason was aligned with Katherine and tried to kill the people she loved. After about an hour, she dried her tears, held her head up high and walked back downstairs. She came down to see Damon had rolled up Mason's body in the tarp that was on the floor. Damon stood and turned to her. "Cassie, you okay?" He asked her concerned. She nodded and gave him a tight lipped smile but he could see she was upset. Damon sighed, walked over to her and pulled her into a warm embrace. He cradled her head with one hand and kept the other on the middle of her back. Cassie had her arms wrapped around him. She knew he was sorry for killing Mason in front of her but he wasn't going to apologize for killing him in general because it needed to be done in his mind.

After a few quiet moments, Stefan came home. "Hey, I got it." Stefan said in a hurry. Cassie and Damon broke apart and directed their attention to Stefan. Stefan held up a oval, polished, white, translucent stone. "All of this for that?" Cassie asked disappointed. "Yep." Stefan replied briefly. Stefan tossed Damon the moonstone. "I see you've exercised your usual restraint." Stefan said as he eyed the tarp. "Had to be done." Damon said as he took Mason's phone and texted Carol on behalf of Mason. Stefan saw how uncomfortable Cassie looked. He saw the mascara smudges on her face. She'd been crying; which meant she was here when Damon killed Mason. "Carol, big opportunity in Florida, I'm gonna be gone for a long time. Will send for my things once I get settled. Much love, Mason" Damon said as he typed the text. "Let's get rid of the body." Cassie said in a rush. Stefan and Damon exchanged worried glances. They both saw how guilty and distressed she felt. Damon averted his attention back to the phone and saw a number with no contact name. "Oh, last number dialed. I wonder who that could possibly be?" Damon questioned sarcastically then pushed redial. Stefan and Cassie exchanged worried glances. "No, no, no! Don't provoke her!" Stefan said as he tried to stop him. "Mason, you should have been here an hour ago." She said through the phone. Stefan continued to try to get Damon off the phone, but Damon pushes him back. "Wrong boy toy." Damon replied to her. Cassie's eyes bulged out of her head when he said that. Stefan slapped Damon's hand and walked away in frustration. "Damon. For once you've surprised me. I assume Mason is with you?" She asked him. "He's right beside me! Although, his heart's across the room." Damon replied with a huge smirk. Cassie face palmed; knowing that now Katherine was going to want revenge. "You shouldn't have." Katherine warned him. "I've had a very busy day today. I killed a werewolf, found a moonstone. Hey, did you know that he hid the moonstone in the bottom of a well full of vervain? I guess he didn't trust you very much. Although, he did love you. Poor guy. Hey, where are you? Because, you know, I could bring him over. Last goodbyes and all that." Damon said with that smirk still on his face. "You have no idea what you've just done." Katherine said with contempt. "Aww, did I put a kink in your master plan? I'm so sorry." Damon replied fakely. "Do you honestly believe that I don't have a plan B? And if that fails, a plan C, then a plan D, and... well, you know how the alphabet works, don't you? Send my love to Stefan." She said to him and hung up. Damon looked up at Cassie and Stefan with fear in his eyes.