I remember his touch, how beautiful and treasured he had made me feel. I wanted to curl up into the beach, walk at the center of it, and howl at how used I felt.

What an ugly word that was, yet appropriate, for he had used me. 

Raphael 

"I can't believe you managed to ruin the first Christmas for us."

"You're almost thirty-three years old, Bruno; you've had more than three decades of Christmas; get over it. 

"I kind of have to agree with B here; you ruined our Christmas."

I said nothing. I just continued looking at the small video that had a few minutes took the breath out of my life.

I kept seeing Sophie's tears dropping uncontrollably down her cheeks.

"She is assuming this happened after I met her"

"She is not assuming. It did happen after you met her."

"But she doesn't know that!"

"Oh, fucking shit! Are you planning on lying to her? I told you this was gonna happen. I told you!"

"I told you, so it doesn't help me right now!"

"Well, we can't help you; this is your own damn problem, you caused it, deal with it, just don't lie to her."

I had to lie. What other option did I have?

"What other option do I have" I whispered, running my hands through my hair in total desperation and defeat.

"Lying is out of the question," Romano calmly said, "the motherfukka who sent it dated it!"

Grabbing the phone from Romano, my eyes closing out on the greyed-out—almost invisible mark that revealed when the video was taken.

I'm going to find him and kill him. I swore silently

Who was behind this, Alberto? I didn't know, but I was going to find out.

Walking through the foyer, I stood for a few seconds letting my eyes run across the beach, trying to locate her.

Every time Sophie was sad, nature became more pronounced for me.

It was almost like the birds, and the swirling sound of the ocean reached out to comfort and calm the storm that raged inside of me.

I saw her. Bare legged, her arms across her chest, staring at the furthest corner of the beach. She looked helpless, beautiful, and alone.

I walked towards her with my hands in my pockets, my heart thudding like I had run a mile. She was the only person who could make me strong, weak, and unsure at the same time.

What do I say?

Do I apologize?

How the hell do I begin that apology exactly?

My feet hit a small shell, making me curse loudly. She turned quickly, her hair covering half her face before she carelessly threw it behind her shoulders.

Her puffy eyes, the sadness that crowded them, how defeated she appeared disarmed me and knowing I had caused it was unfortunate. 

She was so beautiful, standing there yet dejected. I wanted to pull her in my arms, hold her tight, kiss her hair, her eyes until they were dry. 

"Cara," I whispered. She didn't look at me, though, but I thought I saw her shoulders go completely stiff. She was still crying because she kept brushing off her eyes with her right hand.