*sixteen*

We were on the gravel road, until Warren yelled for doc to stop

She got out the truck and grabbed 10k's gun.

"What is she doing?" Murphy asked.

I held in my cries. I got out of the truck with Warren.

She held up the gun and aimed it towards where we just were.

I looked towards the fence to see Garnett as a Z, being attacked by one of the cult members with a trapline.

I shook my head, "this is all my fault."

"If I would have just stayed there." I started sobbing.

"Topaz." Warren said. "It's not your fault, you did the right thing. Garnett is proud of you."

She then hugged me.

I nodded and got back into the truck and sat by 10k. He wrapped his arm around me and I snuggled up next to him.

Warren picked up the gun again and aimed.

"Charles Garnett, I give you mercy." Warren said before pulling the trigger.

Then pulled it again.

Warren gave 10k his gun back and patted him on the shoulder. "Take care of her."

I felt 10k nod.

"Lets go." Warren said as she got into the back seat.

We then drove off.

I sat up from laying on 10k's chest and wiped the tears away.

"Are you okay?" He asked me.

"I don't know." I sighed.

"Topaz, he liked you. A lot." Addy gave me a sad smile. "He knew you did good and that you had to do that."

"Thanks." I said quietly.

I laid my arm on the trucks side and then put my head on my arm facing 10k.

I stayed like that for a while.

***

It's been a couple days since Garnett died. Addy and Mack found a dirt bike and are riding it in front of us all the time now. Me and 10k are always the shooters in the back.

"Welcome to Kansas." I read the sign that we passed.

Everyone hasn't been themselves. It feels weird without Garnett but we still have to go on with the mission.

I then heard Citizen Z on the radio.

"If you're noticing more despair in my voice than usual today, it's because we lost someone special."

"I know, we loose people all the time."

"Getting your face chewed off my a Z is more common than making it to your next birthday."