Oh, Those Summer Nights. (Part 6) (Brendon Urie x Reader)

Start from the beginning

He was having a hard time making sense of everything going on in his brain, that was true, but he was grateful to you for at least attempting to help him relax – even if you were the cause of his distress.

You continued caressing him and a moment later, he placed his hand around your fingers and squeezed.

"I don't have a lotta experience with, ya know, girls and things," he started meekly, darting his eyes all around the room so as to avoid your gaze, "and I'm not sure if I'm going about all of this the right way..."

"You've been doing pretty well so far," you smiled at him, prompting him to finally meet your gaze.

"Thank you," he chuckled, eyes narrowing as he smiled back at you. It was a brief gesture, and he went back to staring at the blank TV screen.

"Listen, (Y/N), this whole situation is very..." he trailed off, searching for the right word. A ton of adjectives immediately sprung to mind, but none of them were at all appropriate. "Complex," he settled, "I just want to clear things up a bit. Like, whatever this is that's happening between us – is it something that you want to explore? Or is this entire thing gonna fizzle out?"

You bit your lip as you let his words penetrate your thoughts. The immediate impulse from your brain was to yell 'Yes! I want this! I want you!', but then...

Then an image of that stupid suit-rocking, quiff-haired, pouty-lipped, golden-voiced motherfucker popped into your head, and the words got stuck in your throat.

Your lack of response didn't go unnoticed by Josh, who jerked his head towards you instantaneously, so that he could look at your face and gauge your reaction. The uncertainty written all over your face was not at all what he wanted to see, and he felt his chest tightening.

"(Y/N)," he breathed shakily, shifting so that his entire body was facing you, "if this isn't what you want-"

You held up one hand to silence him. "Wait, Josh, let me..." you sighed heavily, closing your eyes, "You're right, this is a very complex situation. But if there's one thing I know for sure, it's that through it all, the only constant was you. Is you. Everything in my life has either gone, or is going, to shit – except for you. From the moment I met you and Tyler, my life changed for the better. The two of you helped me in ways I can't even explain, and I know that there's no way that I'll be able to carry on without you," your grip on his arm had tightened astronomically. You were petrified of losing him, and your unconscious mind showed it.

"As for what that means in terms of us – in terms of a relationship – I'm gonna be completely honest with you... I don't know," you continued, "But if you're up for it – exploring this," you gestured between you and him, "then I'd very much like for us to try."

Josh's lips twitched upwards into a smile as he reached forward to cup your face. A moment later, his lips met yours in a relieved kiss.

"That's all I needed to hear."

~The next afternoon~

"What are you doing?"

"Final touches on this new song I'm planning on releasing soon," Tyler explained, strumming his ukulele once before looking up at his best friend, "In fact, this might be the best one I've ever written. It's called 'Josh Is A Fucking Idiot'. Available for pre-order on iTunes."

"Are you still on about this?" Josh snarled, throwing his hands up. "Dude, get over it."

Tyler wheezed. "I'm not the one who needs to get over something. You are." The singer set his instrument down before standing and taking a step towards his friend. "Josh, I wouldn't be a good best friend if I didn't try and stop you from doing what you're doing."

"And what exactly is it that I'm doing, Tyler?" Josh frowned, stepping forward as well. "Because it seems like you and I have entirely different views on the situation."

"Damn right we do," Tyler agreed with a slight chuckle, "I mean, you're so blinded by your desire – or whatever it is – to be with her that you're completely overlooking the major problems with doing so. Namely, her ex-boyfriend, who is hell bent on winning her back."

"He had his chance," Josh reminded, hands involuntarily twitching at the thought of Brendon, "and he screwed it up. There's no way he'll get another one."

"Are you sure?"

Tyler's question lit a fire in Josh. Partly because he couldn't believe that his best friend was being so unsupportive of him, especially when he was positive that he wanted nothing more than to be with you, and partly because he knew that Tyler had a valid point. Your feelings weren't set in stone; there was still a possibility that you would change your mind and chose Brendon instead. Nevertheless, his anger was as invasive as ever.

"Hey, dude, don't get mad at me, alright?" Tyler quipped; he knew Josh better than anyone, and he could tell that he was about to explode. "You need some tough love. And better it come from me than from someone else."

"She said that she wants to be with me," Josh said softly, breaking eye contact with his friend for the first time since he entered the room.

"And she probably meant it too," Tyler added, walking over to place a supportive hand on Josh's shoulder, "For now, at least."

"You see?" Josh groaned, shoving his friend's hand away, and then pointing at him, "That right there is what's pissing me off. You're being such a dick about this. I get that you're not a fan of me and (Y/N) being together, but the least you could do is act like my best friend!"

"I am acting like your best friend!" Tyler argued, shaking his head as he ran a hand through his hair. "I'm trying to protect you, damn it! Both of you! Josh, I really don't think that your relationship is a good idea."

"Well," Josh sucked on his teeth and threw his hands up one last time as he started backtracking out of the room, "it's a good thing that you're not making the decision, then."

The singer watched his friend storm out of the room, shaking his head all the while. As soon as Josh was well down the hall, Tyler grunted in frustration and picked up his jacket from the sofa, searching the pockets for his phone.

He found the device and unlocked it, scrolling through his contacts before tapping on the name of the person he wanted to call.

"Hey, dude," Tyler spoke into the phone, "Listen... how soon can you get to Seattle?"

_______________________________
Thank you for reading x

Note: #TEAMJISH