Cheer Down

Or as I like to call it, John and Cynthia give the middle finger to gender roles. Anyways, ENJOY!!!

Cheer Down

"Well here's to another day at Quarry Bank High." John grunted as he dragged his heavy bag full of homework and assignments that he wouldn't be working on out the door. "Isn't there anything excited that I can do?"

"You could always join the football team." His friend Pete told him. "There are places open there, heard that the star quarterback's your girl Cynthia. She really kicks ass!"

"Pete.. Do I look the least bit athletic to you?"

"C'mon Johnny, you got yourself a mucle-gut right there, also have you seen your biceps?"

"That's nothing compared to those giants out on the field! I'd have to be working out for weeks if I even think of planning to join."

"Just think about it, besides if you join then you'll get that gym credit that's apparently mandatory here."

"Well.. I suppose there's no harm in trying. A lot of broken bones and aches that will last the rest of my youth but still, at least I won't die trying."

The next day John headed out into the fields to find the football coach. "Ugh, I can smell the sweat already." He groaned as he saw the team practice. "'Scuse me coach?"

"You planning to join the team?"

"Ummmm.. Yes?"

"I bet you can't even bench press ten pounds. But I guess according to sports rules I gotta see what your skills are."

Needless to say John wasn't the best athlete. He kept fumbling the ball, tripping over his own feet, easily caught up with by anyone including the tortoise mascot and burned out and collapsed in a mere five minutes. "Looks like you ain't cut out for the team Lennon."

"It wasn't even my idea to come here! Pete thought it would be smart for me to end up dying in the middle of the field."

"Well you go rest a bit before your classes start. Ah, here come the cheerleaders."

Looking over his shoulder, John saw a group of girls dressed in the school colors and practicing dance and cheer number on the field. "Hm.. That does look a lot more fun than lying in pain out here."

The next day came and John was talking with Pete about joining the cheerleading squad.

"You want to join what?!"

"I want to be a part of the cheerleading squad. What's wrong with that?" John asked Pete.

"John, you know you can't be a cheerleader. Everyone's gonna laugh at you!"

"Cmon if Cyn can be on the team who says I can't be a cheerleader?"

"You know the school rules, we-"

"Well I say f##k the rules!! Girls can wear pants and be football players so who's to say boys can't wear skirts and cheer on their girlfriends from the podium?"

Not waiting for an answer, John stormed back onto the field and went to find the coach. "Hey you!"

"Still want to be on the team?"

"Not in your life, football ain't for me. I'm gonna join the cheer squad!"

Upon hearing John's request, the coach was laughing his head off. "You? Be a cheerleader? You're a boy! Boys are supposed to be tough and manly!"

"Hey if my girl Cyn can be the star quarterback who's to say I can't cheer her on during the game? We can be a gender-role crushing couple!"

"Dream on you girly freak, now head to your class or train to be on the team or something."

Growling mentally at the coach, John stormed out of the field, only to be met by Cynthia. "I heard about what happened on the field Johnny."

"Yeah.. I was hoping to cheer you on during the game.."

"Well.. It did take me a while to finally convince the coach to let me play on the team."

"It did?"

"Kept trying to direct me to the cheerleading group even though I can't memorize any of the steps or even the cheer to save my life. I kept showing him how good I was at the game but he still wouldn't let me in. Finally Mum stepped in and got the coach to let me and any other girls be on the team."

"You think the same thing can work with me wanting to be a cheerleader?"

"I'm sure it can. Mum and I will be supporting you all the way and making sure that you do make it into the squad."

Smiling, John gave his girlfriend a big kiss right on her lips. "Thank you Cynnie. I love you so much!"

"Aww. I love you more Johnny."

Heading to the gym lockers, John got himself a cheerleading outfit and put it on. "Fits like a glove. Now time to show that coach who's boss!"

The coach was busy watching the team practice but was instantly shocked when he saw John strut onto the field with pompoms and wearing a skirt and t-shirt. "What are you doing?!"

"Joining the cheerleading squad. What do you think I'm wearing this for?"

"No John! You can't join them, you're a boy!"

"So what if I'm a boy or girl? Who's to say I can't enjoy girly things? Besides, I wanna cheer on Cyn! I got the cheer memorized and I'm sure I can fit in with everyone else." John replied as he did the cheer in front of everyone.

"That still doesn't change the fact that-"

"Gender roles suck! You never let Cyn in before and now that you did she's the star quarterback and made the team undefeatable! If you let me in I could be the number one cheer captain in all of Liverpool!"

"No one wants to see a boy in a skirt!"

"Aw who cares, I just want to be me y'know? I could care less about what others think of me. Just let me be in the squad? I can jump around and sing at the top of my lungs!"

"Ugh.. You're so persistent about this aren't you?"

"And I ain't stopping, just let me in. I can assure you that I'll be an amazing cheerleader, probably the best you got!"

"Fine.. But only for a while. I don't want the school to be criticized for having a male cheerleader."

"The onto thing people will be talking about is how progressive we are. Finally girls can play football and boys can be cheerleaders!" John exclaimed as he ran towards the rest of the squad.

Then it was time for a big game against a rivaling school. When the cheerleaders came out, many viewers were shocked to see John lead the squad. "Isn't that John Lennon? What's he doing with the squad? Shouldn't he be on the field?" Many people asked themselves.

John however was too full of enthusiasm about cheering his girlfriend on that he didn't bat an eye at them. "Go Cyn go! Show them that you rock!" He cheered. "You go girl!"

Smiling at her boyfriend from the bleachers, Cynthia caught the ball and scored a touchdown with ease. "And to think that meat headed coach wouldn't even give me a chance before." She chuckled. "I'm the best player he's got and now Johnny's the cheer captain!"

And what about the coach? Well he's now busy kicking himself knowing that he couldn't believe the boy he once refused to be a cheerleader is now the captain of the cheer squad. "What's going to happen next?" He thought as he watched the game.